Man of Honour
XGu6gRJ.jpg

Owo1n7W.jpg

Yup, Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy was first broadcast on the BBC on 8th March 1978. It's officially the answer to life, the universe and everything years old.

Still my favourite radio series and book, even with the dreadful movie, the TV series killing off The Goodies, and most sadly, the death of Douglas.

It's influences is all over the place, the translation service Bablel Fish, Elon Musk, you could probably even make a claim for Wikipedia being influenced by it.

rdILJXv.jpg

sYBpeCK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1N5vjvl.jpg - my current desktop background.

Douglas is an icon as well, one of only two people outside of the Pythons to be given a writing credit on the series (the other is Neil Innes), writer and script editor for Doctor Who, his work with endangered species too in Last Chance to See.

He even made a cameo as Agrajag in the 2004 Tertiary Radio Series of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy even though he died in 2001...

So anyway, be a hoopy frood and know where your towel is, sit down and have a drink that is almost, but not entirely unlike tea, and binge on the BBC Radio 4 Extra specials that are going on tonight, starting at 8pm with the very first episode. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000g55m/broadcasts/upcoming

VDzjjkQ.jpg

Soldato
yes - good stuff from the BBC Radiophonic workshop ... hexagonal phases has beeen rebroadcast over last weeks too all good for car podcasts.
radio4extra often has doctor who episodes too., Pratchitts guards recently,

... Musk is rather lowering the tone

Soldato
Apparently.

BBC was deluged by tech companies after the first episode wanting to know HOW THE FRELL DID YOU DO THAT! as regards the depiction of the tablet computer "Guide" (The TV version was late 1970's)

It was a back projection against a small screen

Soldato
Lets hear it for Vogon Poetry.

Nah

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool.
They lay. They rotted. They turned
Around occasionally.
Bits of flesh dropped off them from
Time to time.
:And sank into the pool's mire.
They also smelt a great deal.

Commissario
I remember listening to it when it was first broadcast on the steam type wireless using a transistor radio in bed and wondering what on earth (or off it) I was hearing.

The most recent series haven't been much cop, I enjoyed it up to the Quandary phase but lost interest during the Quintessential phase.

Back
Top Bottom