Happy Birthday oceaness!

Man of Honour
Yes, the RC-810 is a remodelled STC-T01 (or STC-810 if you so wish). I got one of the last STC-T01s to be shipped from OcUK, and one of the first RC-810s. I didn't know what had happened to start with, as the RC-810 was so new that it wasn't mentioned on either OcUK's or CoolerMaster's site. There's not that much between them really. They removed the top PSU slot (only a problem if you're planning on dual PSUs), the BTX mountings (all but dead format thanks to Intel's change of direction), and the crossflow fan slot (the crossflow fan is pretty poor, so no loss), and added another near-silent 120mm fan (which can't be bad). :)

Associate
I see what u mean bennah.
He he away with the fairy's :p

Yes I have that pic on my desktop, though I converted it to a compressed Jpeg.

Rich
What spec would the two rigs have if you saved some money and built them separately?
Would you choose X2's with 1mb L2 cache or would you opt for the Optys (cheesy grin: :D) with 2mb L2 cache?
3800 X2 vs Opty 165...

Last edited:
Soldato
oceaness said:
Rich
What spec would the two rigs have if you saved some money and built them separately?
Would you choose X2's with 1mb L2 cache or would you opt for the Optys (cheesy grin: :D) with 2mb L2 cache?
3800 X2 vs Opty 165...
well i bought an X2 3800 purely as I was on a tight budget and couldn't justify the extra money - the same goes for the Asrock Dual-SATA motherboard
£250 for that setup as I could use my existing hardware with it
guess with a bit of luck i might be able to build 3 such systems for the £1100ish :p

though saying that i've still not had a chance to clock this thing yet - had a dodgy hard-drive turn up so have just got a spare off OcUK as I can't wait for the RMA through the other supplier :D

Associate
I see yes 3 3800 X2's = 6 cores + some over clocking. Very nice.
If you've got the space ;)
Are you going to use 3 cases or some sort of rack/shelving system?
I'd have to use cases as I would not be aloud to have machines on just sitting around.
I already have 4 large cases and a laptop and I don't think I'd be aloud to have another 3 he he :p

I'd also have to buy 3 cases, hard disks, power supplies, memory, and probably CPU coolers to keep them cooler and quiter when overclocked and case fans, which would all add up. I wouldn't need a graphics card cause I have one I can move around for setup and then can I use XP Pro's built in Remote Desktop Connection over the network.

Soldato
hehe i'm afraid mine isn't based in reality - i'm allowed that one machine and that's about it

i will probably be allowed to get away with one or two old XP rigs in the loft but given the temps today they definately couldn't be overclocked much :o

most of the extras (hard disks, graphics etc) would have to be second hand i think to make mine come in within the budget - also diy rackmounting would be the order of the day
PSUs could be an issue but these Asrock motherboards and the newer CPUs are meant to be pretty easy going on the power
ideally in a nice cool dry basement with an air-extraction/central heating system of course :D

Associate
He He

Curse reality! :p

Eventually I will probably build my own enclosed shelving system on wheels with some sort of Air Conditioning so I can mount all my different systems in one big temperature controlled case so it will be tall but take up much less floor space :D *looking into the future a long way obviously ;)*

Viva la DIY rackmount :D

Associate
Interestingly I'm just in the process of aquiring a large portable AC unit for £100 from a friend who is worried about his cat jumping out of his window when he hangs the hose out of it.

So my Air Conditioned DIY rackmount may come sooner than expected :D

I'm also changing the spec of the new rig and upping from 265's to 270's as the motherboards OCing options are going to be pretty slim I expect, thus the 10x multiplier will come in handy. The 2 270's are about £200 extra.

£663.18 2 AMD Opteron 270 (£331.59*2)
£318.43 Tyan Thunder K8WE (non-SCSI)
£86.95 SilverStone Temjin TJ05
£103.39 FSP Sparkle Epsilon 700W
£160.48 2 1GB Corsair PC3200(DDR400) (£80.24*2)
New total: £1332.43

Back
Top Bottom