Hard Drive and SSD Shortages Could Be Imminent If New Cryptocurrency Blooms

Permabanned
QUOTE:

"With the emergence of the Chia cryptocurrency, miners in China are reportedly frantically snatching up every hard drive and SSD they can find. Unlike other cryptocurrencies, you don't mine Chia with a processor, graphics card or ASIC miner. Instead, you farm Chia with storage space, which is where hard drives or SSDs come in. Chia isn't officially available for trading yet, therefore, it's too early to start hoarding hard drives or SSDs.

Unlike Bitcoin, which is based on proof of work, Chia utilizes a proof of space and time model. Chia reportedly arrives as an eco-friendly cryptocurrency. Bram Cohen, who's best known as the inventor of BitTorrent, created Chia to leverage the free space on storage devices. The basis behind Chia is that hard drives and SSDs use less power, are easier to come by and cheaper to purchase. By comparison, mining Ethereum or Bitcoin on a mass scale contributes to the electricity waste.

According to HKEPC's report, miners are mass purchasing hard drives that span from 4TB to 18TB in capacity. The panic buying will ultimately lead to a hard drive shortage and price hikes. In Hong Kong, hard drive and SSD pricing is expected to increase between 200 HKD to $600 HKD (~$26 to $77). Due to the constant read and write operations, consumer SSDs aren't the first choice for farming Chia. Nothing is safe from miners when a profit is there to be made though.

Jiahe Jinwei, one of the big domestic manufacturers in China, told media outlet MyDrivers that the company's Gloway and Asgard high-performance 1TB and 2TB NVMe M.2 SSDs are all sold out. The manufacturer plans to put restrictions in place to stop miners from buying enormous amounts of consumer SSDs. Subsequently, the company will also increase production to meet the demand. Apparently, Jiahe Jinwei is even developing a specialized SSD for mining operations.

Farming on a consumer SSD is viable, but the more serious miners will likely look to the enterprise side. Endurance is just as important as capacity and performance, and enterprise or data center SSDs typically meet these three criteria.

Many cryptocurrencies come and go so it'll be interesting to see how Chia pans out. A few years ago, no one took Bitcoin seriously, and today it's worth over $62,000."

Hard Drive and SSD Shortages Could Be Imminent If New Cryptocurrency Blooms | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Permabanned
OP
Read some of the comments, pretty funny. :)

SSD's were holding/increasing prices and a lot of time out of stock due to lockdown PC boom I noticed that much and 2nd hand decent brand/sized HDD's on EB are nearly same price as new so not good news.

Thank God I got an AX1600i PSU when I did then a 3090FE and think I am sorted storage wise for a while.

Would not like to be buying a Mobo/CPU/RAM in near future to find you cannot get a decent GPU/PSU or storage to build it. :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
These cryptocurrencies really need some other way of working. This hogging of resources whether it be hardware or power is totally unacceptable.

For HDD's I have already noticed some retail outlets limiting purchases.

This is just the cap on a really bad year for the PC enthusiasts.

Associate
Been checking high capacity external drives on the rainforest (OCUK don't sell them), not sure if it's a coincidence but they have been out of stock for a while now. The WD My Book 8TB is in stock for a good price though (£113.75), considering grabbing a couple in case the shortage is real.

Associate
It's already up to 2,000 hours per TiB to earn one coin. That's about 83 days. Only 30 days earlier, it was nearer 150 hrs per TiB. It may be one of those things that you never quite get to the point of actually getting one... 10 days to get 50%.. 10 days to get 50% of the remaining... 10 days to get 50% of the remaining.... :D

https://www.chiaexplorer.com/charts/tibHoursXch

The top people have over 20 PiB each (that's over 20,000 terabytes)

https://www.chiaexplorer.com/top-pools

Associate
Yup, I've read through it and had a wee play with it for a few plots, but ultimately, I just cant see how its worthwhile using up all that space, when the bulk of it is just going to sit there unused in the blind hope ... and it is basically blind hope that your numbers will come up.

The whole crypto currency thing seems like a waste of resource ... or more to the point putting good resource to use in a wasteful way. I don't understand why you cant have distributed on-the-fly crypto computing. So you're needing crypto calculations done to facilitate transactions, and that gets farmed out to computer resource to reply back with an answer/solution ... and the earning being through completion of those transactions ... or maybe I just dont get it full stop !

Soldato
These cryptocurrencies really need some other way of working.
These Ponzi schemes producing no service for people or any product need to be gone completely as environmental crimes they are.
They should be really treated as crime against humanity, because the least quilty people are going to suffer the most from consequencies of all that complete waste of electricity and raw materials.

While traditional banking/monetary systems aren't anymore fully healthy, at least they're in their root based on people producing services to others or physical products.

Permabanned
These Ponzi schemes producing no service for people or any product need to be gone completely as environmental crimes they are.
They should be really treated as crime against humanity, because the least quilty people are going to suffer the most from consequencies of all that complete waste of electricity and raw materials.

While traditional banking/monetary systems aren't anymore fully healthy, at least they're in their root based on people producing services to others or physical products.

I agree. I am more than disappointed that governments are so slow to respond. I think in time there will be some solution enforced by governments that may require some centralised processing to stop this insane waste of energy.

Permabanned
OP
"A government panel in 2019 recommended jail of up to 10 years on people who mine, generate, hold, sell, transfer, dispose of, issue or deal in cryptocurrencies. ... The Reserve Bank of India voiced its concern again last month, citing what it said were risks to financial stability from cryptocurrencies"

Not sure what became of this as different sources say different things.

Back
Top Bottom