Hard Drive Problems (going slow)

Associate
Ok i got my master set as a Segate 20gb
the slave is a 300gb one. both on IDE.

the only way i could get them to work was to put the master on master and the slave drive had no jumpers on it.

anyway it worked finaly got it up and formatted.

the problem is when i transfer data to the slave drive. it runs slow as hell. for example my music will go slow as hell when data in transfering to it.

yet reading data from it is fine its just copying over to it.

i have got a 3200+ ahtlon 64bit processor and 1gb of pc3200 ram. and a x1300 graphics card in the thing.

um the Hard drives are on the same cable (the wright way around).

The system boots a little slow aswell for some reason cant figer our why i checked the bios and referd to the manuel seams to be all fine though.

the master has a Fat32 file system
the slave has a NTFS file system
i am also running windows xp pro

so any ideas how to speed this up a bit?

cheers for reading.

Associate
OP
just changed the IDE1 to the 20gb with windows on.

IDE2 has CD rom (as master) and the 300gb (as slave).

seams to boot fine but still slow. also the copying files across still laggs like hell any ideas? i changed the drive letter aswell coz i though it might be conflicting with my removable disc. i have added the registery patch for large drive support.

um i have also ran the segatedisc tools and formatted and everything.

still no luck

please help.

Associate
I have exactly the same problem with one of my seagate drives, I was going to try re-flashing the drive bios (if there is such a thing) but haven't got round to it yet.

Associate
OP
strange im using a micro asus bored at moment thought it might have been a bios setting i have tryed eveything possible though. i thought some raid configerations might be enabled in bios by defult or something or possibly some serial ATA settings or IDE settings and stuff. totaly changed and flashed the lot with no succsess. i think its just a duff drive. ill test it again tommrow at college ask around see if anyone knows the ansaw.

could be to do with the type of cable. this is the last possiblily left if the drive in fact does work.

Associate
OP
tryed that dont like it iver. still taking forever to reboot. i cant find any acount errors on the disc though used the seagatetools and everything.

ill try the hard disk in my teachers pc on monday. he has the same hard drive so if it dont work in his its not gonna work and its bust.

dont wanna be sending it back if its not broken :).

but yeah we have tryed everything 4 of us in the class think its just nakerd possibly shaken up on the dilivery to me. also 2 tech's said that they think its iver bust or just not supported on the bored.

(i checked the bored supports Ultra ata).

Back
Top Bottom