Hardware Problem's -

Associate
Started Folding again a few weeks ago, just a few Wu's here and there :)

Been having hardware problems, Randomly display keeps turning off but computer still on and music would still be playing etc,
Anyhow it became worst happening more, often with no display upon boot,
After some testing, took out GTX470 when trying to boot into windows half way in computer would just turn completely off. OK

This is the odd bit, turning off internal graphics sleep mode in the bios, made it boot and work fine. (Using onboard GPU)

Looking closely at the motherboard (GA-Z77X-UD3H) the little led lights were flickering also playing music using USB headset wasn't clear either.
So thought I'd start from the ground up, as I've had my current Be Quiet 850w PSU for some years now.
So picked up a new PSU - Seasonic X-Series 850w :)

Great problem now fixed :D
Or so I thought :mad:

GTX470 back in and within 10 mins black screen happen again. I've tested a GTX260 in the system which worked fine.

I've been reading online seems there are other people with black screen/cold boot problems using the newest Nvidia drivers ?
I am 98% sure its a problem with the GPU

Was looking at just buying a new GPU - How good are the 6 series for Folding ?

Just wanted to get your opinions guys as too what you think could be the problem from any of your past experience's ?

MGP

MGP

Soldato
You should be able to download older drivers from the nvidia website and see if those make any difference by completely uninstalling the current stuff first. Worth also checking that your BIOS is current in case there is an oddity with motherboard and onboard graphics and how that communicates with the graphics card.

Folding, indeed distributed computing, will stress a lot of hardware in a way that normal stuff will not. I'd have a good look at the temps on the GPU and see how that is working.

Associate
OP
Yep think I will try older drivers + test card in different system just to 100% its a gpu, not software.

Any one know what the PPD is like on a GTX660 (non Ti) ? How would that compare to a GTX 470 ? :)

Back
Top Bottom