1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harrod's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wren, 15 Jul 2006.

1. Wren

Gangster

Hi all,
    I am in Montreal, Canada. I have heard a lot of amazing things about Harrod's (an elite department store in England).
    Have any of you been there? Please tell me about it.
    Thanks. :)

2. Liverpool-Lad

Wise Guy

Canadians arent allowed entry Im afraid.

3. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Lol.

Never been tbh.

4. El Gringo

Mobster

For starters it's not that elite :) Any old pleb can get in as long as he carries his bag in his hands and is wearing a top and suitable shoes. Hell, our friend Al Fayed did.
    Meh, it's big and it sells lots and lots of products, I often just go in to see the pets, but sadly the parrot they've had for years was sold :( The food halls are excellent and the electrical dept is good as well, though John Lewis and Selfridges are easily equal. In fact, apart from the food, Selfridges is pretty much on a par.
    Harrods is prettier at Chritmas though :p

People often jump in with "overpriced" comments, but to be honest the prices aren't so exaggerated. You're buying quality, and if you want it cheaper then the Harrods sales are famous.

5. Borris

Caporegime

It's a Magical Place™, where you can buy Things™ the are available Anywhere™, expect the cost Twice-The-Price™.

It's a pointless rip-off, unless you enjoy tourist traps.

6. bigred

Wise Guy

I wouldn't say it was amazing, they wouldn't let my parents in once because they looked like tourists. It's worth having a look around just to say that you've been. The escalators are quite impressive.

I went last year with my then girlfriend, she tried on a £600 pair of shoes that didn't fit, and in the process snapped the heel off. Whoops.

Alex

7. Phog

Mobster

It's very good but there are better shops! Harvey Nichols being one of them. I'd say Selfridges was definately another. Depends on what you are looking for.

8. Borris

Caporegime

It's all concessions that are available at every other big department store though.

(I used to flat share with a lad that is now one of their chief buyers.)

9. Wren

Gangster

Not even Canadians with British ancestry? :p

10. Phog

Mobster

Criminal ancestry in that case! :D ;)

11. Alex_L

Mobster

In my opinion its a dump.

Its a maze that is impossible to find your way round, and its rammed full of tourists buying the huge amounts of tack and tat that it purveys.

If you want an upmarket department store in london try Harvey nichols just up the road, a much more pleasureable shopping experience.

12. Berger

Capodecina

Over-rated tbh, ive been and it wasnt anything outstanding, they did have a nice car in the window on the bottom floor iirc, but that was about it, nothing really caught my eye.

13. Wren

Gangster

:D
    Good one! Seriously, I heard somewhere that I would have an easier time finding work in England than I would in the U.S. because of the fact that my grandparents were born in Dartford, Kent. Not sure of the truth in that, but this is what people have been telling me.

14. Wren

Gangster

I had never heard of Harvey Nichols until you just mentioned it here. :)

15. ironman

Sgarrista

It's a wonderful place, definitely visit. One of my friends works there, 30% discount woo;)

16. Beansprout

Man of Honour

This is true. It's a touristy, gaudy Debenhams.

However when they have displays and themes on it really is something else, and the Food Hall is fantastic.

Went there when they had a Bond theme on a few years ago, they had an Aston...in the (a)...Window...display :eek: :D

17. El Gringo

Mobster

It's true, Harodds' name has run around and everyone wants to have been at least once, which makes the place a horror to navigate at the best of times. The perfume hall on the ground floor is always packed with people from all countries. Looots of tourists...

18. Skeptic

Mobster

The food and the deli bit is devine. The rest is available elsewhere.

19. Carzy

Sgarrista

Only reason to go to Harrod's is the food hall.

20. cheets64

PermaBanned

Manchester > London