Harry Maguire - Banged up Abroad

Soldato
Don't think Utd have any choice but to sack him now. He's been found guilty in a criminal court not some kangaroo court that the FA use for disciplinary hearings which some Utd fans get upset if people disagree with the findings of.
Doubt he’ll be sacked but we could have spent £80m more wisely tbh

Soldato
Don't think Utd have any choice but to sack him now. He's been found guilty in a criminal court not some kangaroo court that the FA use for disciplinary hearings which some Utd fans get upset if people disagree with the findings of.
From a legal perspective it sounds like a bit of a stitch up though. Apparently his lawyers had absolutely no time to prepare and only got the list of charges this morning. If that was in England there would be no way the trial would proceed without a delay. I reckon United will allow him to appeal and see how that goes before taking action.

I'm not saying he did nothing wrong to be clear, just that from the reports it doesn't sound like the correct process for justice has been followed

Soldato
OP
Lucky that he has got in trouble in a country that doesn't seem to follow any semblance of a fair justice system.

As the truth slowly comes out in this case we might get to the bottom of this.

I mean if he doesnt assault a police officer or offer a bribe this doesnt happen. I've seen a lot of the "Greek police are corrupt" posts everywhere which considering they didn't accept a bribe nor did they give him a jail sentence im not sure how Seems to me like Maguires defence was full of holes. First his sister fainted, thenher eyes rolled ot the back of her head.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I mean if he doesnt assault a police officer or offer a bribe this doesnt happen. I've seen a lot of the "Greek police are corrupt" posts everywhere which considering they didn't accept a bribe nor did they give him a jail sentence im not sure how Seems to me like Maguires defence was full of holes. First his sister fainted, thenher eyes rolled ot the back of her head.

I'm not sure I believe much of what the police say in Greece. They are corrupt as hell and the fact that they have managed to have a trial and conviction within a few days of the incident should tell you how they run things.

Who knows, they might be completely right but I'll wait for a while before making my mind up.

You can't tell me that in high end clubs/bars in 2020 no one took videos of all this happening? Harry Maguire getting into a fight with the police? That would be everywhere.

Caporegime
Lucky that he has got in trouble in a country that doesn't seem to follow any semblance of a fair justice system.

As the truth slowly comes out in this case we might get to the bottom of this.

If it had been an England fan I'm pretty sure he'd be doing time, when you have Manchester United and the FA on your side I'm sure there are plenty of strings to be pulled.

Soldato
did anyone see his lawyers comment about "lost in translation" and "he was just asking if there was a fine to pay". Just like I said... never offer to bribe. Just ask "what is the fine" and "is it ok to pay with cash for that?"

Soldato
no, he's in England and it's a suspended sentence anyway. He'll appeal and there'll be a long process. Sounds like a mix of both stitch up and also stupidity. He's no doubt got aggressive, or at least the judge thought so, but most people would when faced with aggression and perceived injustice as is being described by his lawyers. From what I hear the average tourist town cop imprisons first, beats second (or sometimes first) and couldn't care less about who did what, if he cuffs you tough, your holiday is over. The difference is this guy has deep pockets and good lawyers and will be able to push back.

Don
Doubt he’ll be sacked but we could have spent £80m more wisely tbh
I was taking the ****, preempting the hypocricy we're going to see.
From a legal perspective it sounds like a bit of a stitch up though. Apparently his lawyers had absolutely no time to prepare and only got the list of charges this morning. If that was in England....
As above I was just taking the **** about him getting sacked, although questions do now need to be asked as to whether he can remain as Utd's captain and whether he can be selected for England for the foreseeable future - previously the FA have taken the decision to not select players that have faced criminal charges before they've even been convicted.

However on the "if that was in England" point and the way the trial was handled - it wasn't in England and those are the laws in Greece. If you don't like them and don't want to be subject to them then don't go there and if you do then make sure you don't end up getting in a punch up with plain clothed police.

Caporegime
What was his sister stabbed or poisened with exactly?

To be fair dodgy albanians are everywhere in Greece. I have been to the mainland, rhodes, crete and love the place for the culture and food but since they are basically bankrupt once you get past that touristy facade it is dodgy as hell even in the top 5 star hotels someone is trying to fleece you.

One thing I am surprised is that you would see slab head from a mile off and no video is quite surprising.

Soldato
I'm actually quite surprised by all of this and ultimately pretty disappointed in Maguire. I had hopes he might develop into a decent captain for the club but he's failed on the pitch and off it now.
I didn't really take him for the type to get involved in a fracas in a public place let alone abroad. It's naive at best and verging on stupidity. Too many people are out to incite trouble and try and profit from it and millionaire footballers should realise that they are easy targets. Regardless of whether he is guilty or not, its a stain on him and the club. The only good thing is that Ole might see fit to remove the captaincy and give it to Fernandes. I didn't think he offered enough in his first season and maybe it weighed too heavy on him. I see Southgate has dropped him from the England squad and rightly so. Silly boy.

Soldato
I was taking the ****, preempting the hypocricy we're going to see.

As above I was just taking the **** about him getting sacked, although questions do now need to be asked as to whether he can remain as Utd's captain and whether he can be selected for England for the foreseeable future - previously the FA have taken the decision to not select players that have faced criminal charges before they've even been convicted.

However on the "if that was in England" point and the way the trial was handled - it wasn't in England and those are the laws in Greece. If you don't like them and don't want to be subject to them then don't go there and if you do then make sure you don't end up getting in a punch up with plain clothed police.
I'm not questioning their laws, but I'm saying that from United's perspective it would be premature to sack him before the full process, including appeals, has been followed through.

Caporegime
I'm not questioning their laws, but I'm saying that from United's perspective it would be premature to sack him before the full process, including appeals, has been followed through.

It happens all the time though, in some cases people are getting sacked from their real jobs just for offending the loony left mob on Twitter and those aren't even crimes.

Don
As above, I was just taking the **** about that. There was never any chance of Utd sacking him, regardless of what he's done, because he has a worth to them. If this was a player they were trying to get off their books then they'd have sacked him in a heartbeat.

Utd and any Utd supporter that defends him is obviously a disgrace though. How can anybody defend somebody that's been convicted of brutally attacking innocent police, just trying to do their job and then believe he's above the law and can pay his way out of trouble? We should have known he was capable of this after his kickout at Batshuayi last season.

And before anybody replies, yes I'm taking the **** with that last paragraph.

Back
Top Bottom