Harry Maguire - Banged up Abroad

Soldato
Took him a week to think up the kidnap story, thought it might've taken his lawyer a lot less time to come up with that one, it screams that every time he tries an excuse and people don't believe him he tries another excuse, not sure what to believe and not now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So now people are saying that Maguire has changed his story a million times because the **** UK press has been chucking out whatever story they fancy for the past week.

Amazing what peoples dislike for United makes them believe.

Caporegime
Without footage I don't think there is much point in making judgement either way.

If its within his character it'll happen again, people can have one off crazy moments and no one was seriously harmed right?

Soldato
So now people are saying that Maguire has changed his story a million times because the **** UK press has been chucking out whatever story they fancy for the past week.

Amazing what peoples dislike for United makes them believe.

I said his story has changed every time someone questions it, that's not a dislike for Utd it's a fact that he/his lawyer have raised several different stories as excuses for this, it's amazing how far blinkered fans will go to defend any player who plays for their club

Don
Various people on here Baz and you know it. Saying that his story about this sister changes every day, that what happened and the order of events has changed a lot.

Ok, the closest thing to what you're saying that I've seen is Maundie above but the general view has been that they don't believe him rather than he's changing his story. And let's be honest, his story does sound far fetched. We're supposed to believe that the police, completely unprovoked, just attacked him?

As for your point above about the press, I've not seen too much written that's a million miles away from what Maguire's defencd has claimed or he said in that interview and it's not a coincidence either. Maguire and Utd would have been briefing the press like crazy to put their spin on the story. Man Utd don't employ Neil Ashton for nothing. Utd/Maguire wanted to get the claim about his sister out there to lessen the damage to Maguire's image.

When the Sterling/Gomez stuff happened the first journalist to report the issue was one very close to Sterling's agent. He reported it as banter gone too far. Sterling's camp wanted to get their story out because the news was coming out anyway and was going to be more critical.

Soldato
OP
So he legged it with a handcuff on one hand? Are we honestly supposed to believe the police didn't say who they were?

Last edited:
Don
The one part of his story that I could believe is true is that he didn't know they were the police. It would take a special kind of stupidity to intentionally resist arrest when you're a high profile footballer.
Without footage I don't think there is much point in making judgement either way.
I disagree. I think we should all jump on the bandwagon and criticise Maguire for not apologising and Utd and any Utd supporter for defending him after he was found guilty in a court of law.

Soldato
OP
I actually think Maguire should just say they are talking utter nonsense, refuse to apologise and leave it there. The media are already on his side and if they think the Greek police and courts are dodgy i sure as hell wouldn't risk a retrial and potentially risking more punishments.

Soldato
OP
I mean plenty of people are uncomfortable talking to a camera but Maguire's interview just comes across scripted and not very genuine.

Trying to talk your way out of it with a BBC interview is a Prince Andrew move :D

I just dont get why he's done it. Its a PR move which i get but do they really think the Greeks are going to like him basically calling them liars?

For anyone thinking this is some sort of biased against United. GPosters on Redcafe have questioned this aswell. One even points out that they should have just let it blow over and appeal in time.

Caporegime
So he legged it with a handcuff on one hand? Are we honestly supposed to believe the police didn't say who they were?

In the heat of the moment in dodgy Greece when plain clothes officers are trying it on. It sound reasonable for him to think that someone might be trying it on. He is a public figure after all. If they were uniformed police then you have a point.

I just hope this has the David Beckham effect of 98 and he comes back stronger. I am sure Ole will leave him as captain and back him all the way.

Don
"dodgy Greece" :D Greece's tourism trade is going to take a hit with all Utd supporters boycotting the country, convinced that police randomly attack you in the streets.

Caporegime
I said his story has changed every time someone questions it, that's not a dislike for Utd it's a fact that he/his lawyer have raised several different stories as excuses for this, it's amazing how far blinkered fans will go to defend any player who plays for their club

Please show me the source that shows this that isn't tabloid press?

Caporegime
"dodgy Greece" :D Greece's tourism trade is going to take a hit with all Utd supporters boycotting the country, convinced that police randomly attack you in the streets.

As far as I can gather some people have tryed to drug his sister. He left with her and then been confronted by two plain clothes people who claim to be police officers. Considering his stature what do you think he is thinking at the time? What were the plain clothes police officers even doing there in the first place?

Soldato
OP
In the heat of the moment in dodgy Greece when plain clothes officers are trying it on. It sound reasonable for him to think that someone might be trying it on. He is a public figure after all. If they were uniformed police then you have a point.

I just hope this has the David Beckham effect of 98 and he comes back stronger. I am sure Ole will leave him as captain and back him all the way.

He was being arrested...why on earth would you then leg it and try to ring your agent? If i'm in Greece being arrested with my family in the same situation the last thing i'm doing is running if i think they are "dodgy".

Soldato
OP
As far as I can gather some people have tryed to drug his sister. He left with her and then been confronted by two plain clothes people who claim to be police officers. Considering his stature what do you think he is thinking at the time? What were the plain clothes police officers even doing there in the first place?

The first thing id do if i thought my sister was in danger is leg it and leave her to sort herself out.

Deary me.

Caporegime
He was being arrested...why on earth would you then leg it and try to ring your agent? I'f i'm in Greece being arrested with my family in the same situation the last thing i'm doing is running if i think they are "dodgy".

How did he know they are actually policemen? You are miles away from home. Anything could be going on. Like I said if they were uniformed police then I would understand completely but if I was abroad in some other country and some plain clothes people came up to me and tryed to handcuff me I would be a bit apprehensive to say the least.

Why were plain clothes policemen even there in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom