Has anyone fitted an XSPC Raystorm Pro or NEO AM4 CPU water block?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Seem to have a potential problem?

I was in the process of fitting my new XSPC AM4 Raystorm Neo CPU block but at the very first point of fitting the long screws into the motherboard back plate (which it also says to use a nylon washer) it doesn't seem right to me?

The back plate is still loose & wobbly, not fixed tight like I've come to expect from other CPU cooler installs? So I've not gone any further until I can find more information, which seems non-existant so far?

So is this normal and will it tighten up once I've screwed in the CPU block etc??

Associate
I've got the Threadripper version. I doubt you're at risk of breakage by testing it, so why not see whether it tightens up when everything is screwed down? I mean all you can be realistically expected to do as the end user is ensure the binding posts are adequately tightened, and waterblock mounted securely.

Man of Honour
OP

I found an article online finally that mentions, some early AM4 backplates didn't meet AMD's specifications so the stand off screws were too long, which mine are, it's this causing the issue, this was confirmed also by XSPC, who've advised me to use a 2nd nylon washer to tighten it up before fitting the block (I'll try this tomorrow).

Some CPU cooler manufacturers got around this by providing their own backplates, EK/Noctua etc...

I'm going to email Asus tomorrow as well to see if they can provide me with an updated and correctly sized AM4 backplate :)

v044rMO.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom