Has anyone here got FTTP?

Soldato
We are looking to move into a new build and I'm told that it has both Virgin Media (which I assume means cable?) as well as fibre to the property.

There is an Openreach box wired into the utility room and so I assume this is effectively the entry point into the home and this would then connect to a router?

I assumed most providers could offer superior speeds with FTTP but it turns out that, for now at least, this is pretty much exclusive to BT, meaning that I'm going to be paying circa £30 p/m for a 76MB connection (same speed as I have now, albeit through PlusNet via FTTC paying about £17 p/m!)

If I go down the route of BT I presume they will provide me with a router but I'm wondering if I can swap that out for my existing TP Link Archer VR2800 as I like the UI and have it all set up how I want it?

Also, if I go down the Virgin Media route (which I am not keep on having on the TV side because we want to take our Sky Q with us) will my router still work or is it a different technology?

Any help is appreciated!

Soldato
Virgin will provide a router / modem that can be put in modem only mode so you can use your own router. BT FTTP will need an FTTP modem normally provided at installation you can then attach whatever router you wish to that

As for BT only I know thats not true, Zen for certain can provide FTTP, we use them / it at work

FTTP is more costly though you wont get the same speeds for the same price regardless of who you go with but does have te potential to be faster if you wish to go that route

Soldato
There is an Openreach box wired into the utility room and so I assume this is effectively the entry point into the home and this would then connect to a router?

Have you got a picture of the box in question? Is it a standard BT type phone socket? But yes, that's where the router would connect.

I assumed most providers could offer superior speeds with FTTP but it turns out that, for now at least, this is pretty much exclusive to BT, meaning that I'm going to be paying circa £30 p/m for a 76MB connection (same speed as I have now, albeit through PlusNet via FTTC paying about £17 p/m!)

If there's FTTP then it doesn't make sense that you're limited to 76Mbps. With regards to being limited to BT, there's plenty of ISPs that can resell the Openreach FTTP product -> https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers[/QUOTE]

If I go down the route of BT I presume they will provide me with a router but I'm wondering if I can swap that out for my existing TP Link Archer VR2800 as I like the UI and have it all set up how I want it?

Yep, they'll supply you with a SmartHub2. As a router, it's OK and the wifi is pretty good too. That said, I'm not using mine and passed it on to my parents to replace their BT Hub 5. If it is definitely FTTP at the house (the photo I mentioned earlier will answer that question) then no, your VR2800 won't work. It's an ADSL/VDSL router so doesn't have the correct WAN port to work on FTTP. If you wanted to continue using a TP-Link router then you need to look for what they call a 'WiFi Router' rather than a 'DSL Router' like you currently have.

Also, if I go down the Virgin Media route (which I am not keep on having on the TV side because we want to take our Sky Q with us) will my router still work or is it a different technology?
Nope. Same answer as above.

If I had a choice between Virgin Media or Openreach FTTP I'd take Openreach FTTP every time.

It would be worth going to openreach.com and using the fibre checker. That should tell you if FTTP is available.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you actually had a look at the availability checker to confirm it is actually FTTP? Just you should be offered faster speeds than 76mbit if it is. Also it's not just BT who sell FTTP, see: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers

Your AC2800 can work with either cable, FTTP or FTTC, for cable/FTTP you need to use the supplied router in modem mode and connect to the 3rd LAN/WAN port.

Soldato
Your AC2800 can work with either cable, FTTP or FTTC, for cable/FTTP you need to use the supplied router in modem mode and connect to the 3rd LAN/WAN port.

Are you sure about that? The TP-Link website lists it as a VDSL router.

Edit - Ignore me, I didn't notice that one of the LAN ports could be reconfigured. Strange that TP-Link list it as a VDSL router and don't mention that it'll work with FTTP.

Caporegime
It's not exclusive to BT. Zen supply FTTP, as well as TalkTalk and Sky in limited locations if you phone them to place the order.

Soldato
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies - been a bit of a busy day so not had chance to catch up until now.

To answer a few points raised:

1. 76Mb isn't the fastest I can get at the new house - I was just giving that as an example as it's what I get via our existing FTTC connection now - looking at the BT website I can go all the way up to 910Mb but I just can't justify the £60 p/m charge for my uses!
  2. I appreciate that BT aren't the only providers but we've been told by the developer that the broadband and phone line have to be supplied by BT - unless we have a TV package through Virgin Media - although looking at the Virgin website they do give options of broadband and phone line in isolation so that might be an option!
  3. As far as the checker goes my house isn't showing up yet - probably because it's only just been finished, but the house next door that has been occupied for about 6 months will surely be the same in terms of speeds etc?
  4. The existing Openreach box looks like this:
40ilsTw.jpg

Glad to know my existing router will still work - although does this mean that the BT or Virgin modem will have it's own firewall/ports etc because effectively I'll be bypassing my TP Link VDSL capabilities? - I've got mine set up just how I want it for various applications!

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s an ONT, so yes it’s FTTP. If your house isn’t showing on the database, BT wouldn’t have normally installed to it already - legally they need to have COSAR in place (the database used by the emergency services in the event of an emergency call being made but the line going dead or the person being unable to tell them the address etc.), this requires the address to be on Royal Mail’s database, this is also the point TV licensing start chasing you, but that’s another story.

Router wise BT (or whoever else) terminates in an ONT, you plug a router in. Virgin supply a router which you can set to modem mode, no need for anything else. You can order one or more services from Virgin, no obligation to take TV or phone etc. but they build the bundles in a manner to encourage you to take more services. Remember to use Quidco.

Soldato
OP
Router wise BT (or whoever else) terminates in an ONT, you plug a router in. Virgin supply a router which you can set to modem mode, no need for anything else. You can order one or more services from Virgin, no obligation to take TV or phone etc. but they build the bundles in a manner to encourage you to take more services. Remember to use Quidco.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but is the Openreach box basically just the connection into the property with no "router" capabilities? Could I plug my TP link router into the Openreach box (via ethernet presumably?) and as long as I have my ISP's settings, username and password etc in place, would this work or do I have to have the ISP provided router plugged in to the Openreach box and then my TP Link plugged into that?

In addition I've looked at Zen and Sky (TalkTalk don't ae an online checker) and both say they can provide a superfast connection!

Soldato
I'm surprised they installed the ONT into one of those enclosures, I thought they stopping using them when they stopping supplying battery backup units along with the ONT. My install (which has the same ONT) has the ONT mounted directly to the wall without that larger enclosure.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but is the Openreach box basically just the connection into the property with no "router" capabilities?

Yep. That's exactly what it is.

Could I plug my TP link router into the Openreach box (via ethernet presumably?) and as long as I have my ISP's settings, username and password etc in place, would this work or do I have to have the ISP provided router plugged in to the Openreach box and then my TP Link plugged into that?

That'll work fine. Connect an ethernet cable between the 3rd LAN port on your TP-Link and port 1 on the bottom of the ONT and away you go. No username or password is actually needed, but your router iwll probably need something entering. I use my phone number as the username and 'internet' as the password but pretty much anything should work.

Soldato
I'm surprised they installed the ONT into one of those enclosures, I thought they stopping using them when they stopping supplying battery backup units along with the ONT. My install (which has the same ONT) has the ONT mounted directly to the wall without that larger enclosure.

Same here, just the same ONT directly mounted on the wall.

Router needs to support Pppoe but that's it any will do.

Soldato
OP
So essentially no modem is needed - the connection directly to the Openreach box is "always on" and provides a superfast connection to the property by the ISP until switched off at their end? (I'm a bit confused as I've always understood you needed the ISP's username and password in to connect to their service?

Soldato
In simple terms, think of the ONT as your modem. As has been said a few times now, you don’t need a specific username and password, you haven’t with BT for example in many years.

Associate
I have recently moved into a new build and we have the same Openreach box installed. It is to my understanding that all new builds have FTTP installed. We have two in our house as I booked for Virgin to be installed, Openreach came knocking and said I may as well have it connected there main frame now for free if I wanted to switch.

Associate
Hey, you all seem to know lots about this so can anyone help me please. Just had fttp fitted by openreach with an ont in the house. Sky is the isp and I am trying to replace the SR203 router with an TP-link AX3000. I’ve tried PPPoE with the username and password extracted with wireshark, in dynamic IP mode. With and without custom MAC address taken from the sticker on the back of the SR203. Just never connects, anyone able to throw some ideas at me, would love to learn what I’m doing wrong. Thanks.

Associate
Thanks, I have already seen that guide but it’s for fttc not fttp, the tp-link AX50 is missing the mer or DHCP 60/61 option on the GUI. I’ve put it away now as waisted 2 days trying to get it to work. ‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom