Has anyone pursuaded OcUK to build a PC for them?

Associate
There are lots of clever guys on these forums giving novices (like me) very good advise on specifications using components from OCUK.

To anyone's knowledge have the guys at OCUK ever built one to spec or just the few complete systems they sell?

I'm unable to upgrade components in my present desktop as I'm advised the Dell case is not ATX or other recognised configuration.

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Building is easy, make sure you touch a ground before you start and its all good :)

What? Like what many Christian footballers do, touch the ground then thank the lord, jesus and the holy spirits? ;)

Associate
OP
I added a cyberdrive CD RW drive beneath the DVD Rom when I put the lid back on the case both drives were in the perpendicular position!

I bought a 2nd hand electric lawnmower and tried putting petrol into the motor thinking it was a petrol tank.

My man-overboard drills in dinghy sailing - well he's been on the missing persons list for years!

Changing the BIOS to boot from CD took three attempts and I settled (1st time) to have Windows 98 overwritten by XP.

Setting up the secure partition my Crucial Gizmo Flash Drive took 3 e-mails to customer support!

My friend at Wrexham ordered and collected all his parts from OCUK. I haven't seen it but I know he's extremely pleased with it. Nice and quiet with a Sonata Case.

Pity someone at OCUK can't do a bit of Moonlighting. I could always ask my friend at Wrexham.

I don't need one for games. (I bought Grim Fandango and couldn't get the corpse out of the cafe on scene two). I need one for PhotoShop with other programs being run at the same time (interchange between PS and Serif Page Plus, MS Office and a number of programs being run in the background. I have 1 GB on my laptop, a different machine, and occasionally my free RAM program has warned me that it has insufficient RAM, etc. Occasionally I watch Buster Keaton DVDs and listen to Led Zeppelin 4.

I'd like one that runs nice and quiet

Baddass has already recommended a good monitor.

I don't know if any of OCUKs pre-built computers would be OTT?

Associate
I sent a webnote to them asking about this a while ago. I believe the response i got was something along the lines of......

"We used to offer a service like this, but due to the vast amount of people choosing incompatible components for their build we stopped offering the service."

^^ Thats not word for word, but it was something like that. So basically, lots of numpties were asking overclockers to build them a pc with s939 pci-e mobo, agp gfx, 775 cpu etc etc. So due to this, it made the whole process a bit of a nightmare having to go back and forth with the customer changing the spec over and over until it was compatible. It's a shame really as it would be a nice thing to have, but i can understand the reason why it was stopped.

Soldato
djcj said:
^^ Thats not word for word, but it was something like that. So basically, lots of numpties were asking overclockers to build them a pc with s939 pci-e mobo, agp gfx, 775 cpu etc etc. So due to this, it made the whole process a bit of a nightmare having to go back and forth with the customer changing the spec over and over until it was compatible. It's a shame really as it would be a nice thing to have, but i can understand the reason why it was stopped.
Solution: Design an order process whereby the customer simply can't choose incompatible components. Makes things less confusing for the customer and easier for the retailer :)

Associate
OP
djcj said:
So basically, lots of numpties were asking overclockers to build them a pc with s939 pci-e mobo, agp gfx, 775 cpu etc etc.

When someone shouts "Hey you numtie" I always answer yes, it saves time...

Thanx for your reply, one would think that if a spec was put together by one of the OC Forums' Dons (Baddass etc) and this could be printed off OCUK would "accept it as fact", the guys giving advice on these forums know what they are talking about (not me obviously) but if one of the recognised WiseGuys etc put a spect together, fully knowing what the customer wanted ('cus it's written down) that should be good enough?

Thanx for your advise everyone

Soldato
Oh yes most people on these forums know what they are talking about, but you have to acount for people asking for systems that dont work, and the costs that would be relating to responding to that in employees time.

Most of the good default specs suitable for people they offer in a pre-built system (they build them in house, but you just do not spec them up) they cover most situations and they are built to a good standard. :)

Associate
OP
Yewen said:
Where you based at mate?

Sorry I'm dyslexic too

I read it as "Were you based at mate?" and having previously been in the forces I wondered what mate was?

Modern Anti Tank Establishment?
Ministry Alied Training Establishment?

I live North of Chester

Bad lad's army has just started and I can't miss that!

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom