Has anyone pursuaded OcUK to build a PC for them?

Soldato
Ahh a bit far from me, im near Worcester.

If you can get to me I would be happy to help you build a PC up if you go down that route. :p

Soldato
Al Vallario said:
Solution: Design an order process whereby the customer simply can't choose incompatible components. Makes things less confusing for the customer and easier for the retailer :)
aye was just thinking of that myself, a decent website with some verification based around sockets and AGP/PCIe etc... would be relatively simple to design.

its more likely to be the fact that the money they would make from building/installing user specific machines wouldn't translate into the time spent on building them.

Associate
OP
nikebee said:
its more likely to be the fact that the money they would make from building/installing user specific machines wouldn't translate into the time spent on building them.

They would quote their prices and people would vote with their wallets!

For people like myself a good recomendation from one of the wiseguys (which is usually backed up by other members) would be worth the extra expense. 'cus a little knowledge is dangerous and a few extra pounds well spent will last the lifetime of the computer.

I know I'm not allowed to quote competitors, but when one visits such sites who make "semi" custom built systems, they do not have the wealth of components which OCUK have on offer.

What a pity they won't assemble them to order, or at least, as one member said have a site where it is impossible to select incompatible components.

Soldato
Wise Guy is a status given from a 1000 post count, not to be given for them knowing what they are talking about. :p

Just go with what most people think and you cant go that wrong, but Wise Guy is just a 1000 post count so not really an indication of knowledge, they could get 1000 posts talking about music. ;)

Associate
djcj said:
I sent a webnote to them asking about this a while ago. I believe the response i got was something along the lines of......

Shame really. But I would have thought "Build to spec" meant that someone asks for a computer to "play latest games on" with the budget of "£xxx" and then state simple components, such as will it need a floppy drive, how many cd drives does it need etc?

Rather than be specific with components, else you might as well build it yourself.

That's how I build systems "to spec" for friends and family anyway.

Soldato
OcUK do a wide range of PC's though that will do for every single major task you want to do with your PC, and cover most budgets.

So in effect unless you want this motherboard etc (which when you choose the bits you really should be building your own) OcUK already stock the best solutions.

Man of Honour
Yewen said:
Wise Guy is a status given from a 1000 post count, not to be given for them knowing what they are talking about. :p

Just go with what most people think and you cant go that wrong, but Wise Guy is just a 1000 post count so not really an indication of knowledge, they could get 1000 posts talking about music. ;)

Very true, some of us are still numpties after several thousand posts ;)

Belly - I believe that if you ask OcUK nicely they will adjust a couple of components in their pre-built systems for not much more(if anything) than the normal price of the components so if you wanted to get a larger hard drive or more Ram etc it shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that you could always try to find someone near to you that would be willing to build or at least help you build since Yewen seems to be a little too far away.

Associate
Yewen said:

very true, another way of saying it is just because a made man has clipped 26 guys doesnt mean he can hit 3ghz with an opteron 144 :cool:

Associate
Al Vallario said:
Solution: Design an order process whereby the customer simply can't choose incompatible components. Makes things less confusing for the customer and easier for the retailer :)

I've seen this system on a similar website.
As soon as you pick the motherboard, your CPU, GFX and Memory choices are limited to those that actually fit the sockets ono the board.

Must cost a bit to get a system like that in place though.

Associate
Al Vallario said:

But what if I want to buy myself a PCI-E graphics card with PCI-E mobo but to save postage I will order my brother a new AGP graphics?

Back
Top Bottom