Has anyone used a online dating agency?

Associate
ElRazur said:
I thought the overall UK population indicate there is 4 female for every male ratio-wise?

That doesnt matter because I guarantee you more guys will put in for online dating than girls anyway. Think about it, guys want the easy route, girls want the hard route. ;)

Suspended
i once signed up for hotornot for a laugh and had loads of munters from america clicking 'meet me' on my profile :D there was a hottie though, from america :rolleyes:

Soldato
HangTime said:
One of my friends does his dating almost exclusively on the internet now. His ex-gf was good looking, but a bit of a psycho (only a bit).

Oh how that made me laugh.

seek said:
myspace is for internet shaggers. i know a girl at my college (34y/o) who uses it to meet men / get laid.

better plan - go out. talk to people. get some.

Why the hell not? And why is going out a better plan? She might not get laid at all that way, through the web it's guaranteed and she can make sure that the people she is meeting up with have the same 'interests'.

Man of Honour
sunama said:
The poor chap is not your mate. The poor chap is the female's boyfriend who is the Navy. His girlfriend is playing games with other men behind his back. Thats dispicable.

I can handle it if a woman is a bit psycho/mad. But if she does anything with any other man (or puts her name up on a dating agency while she is seeing me), its over. I have no tolerance for cheaters.

I don't know what site they met on but it may not have been exclusively a 'dating' site. Plus the bf knows about him and she's not actually cheating on him in the physical sense afaik. To all intents and purposes they are having a long distance relationship without the sex, I reckon she just craves the attention while her fella is at sea/abroad.

My friend recently moved to Bristol though so thanks to the big city life I think he may be weaning off her anyway.

Soldato
PhantomKarl said:
So which online dating agencies are good and which are bad?

I listed match.com in my last post as being good - well designed site and no "phantom" people to talk to in an attempt at boosting their income.

However somebody else has now mentioned two or three times that all online dating agencies have nothing but ugly people that couldn't even get laid the "proper way" if they wanted...so are you sure you're still interested?
</sarc>

Soldato
Also a nod for match.com which is where I met my girlfriend.

My bit of advice would be that it still has some aspects of real world dating to it. As a guy you can't just sit there and expect girls to contact you, though you may get winks. Make sure you have a really well written profile with some good photos of you along with photos of you that show you somewhere interesting or doing something interesting.

Then contact the women you like, but don't send a generic 'cut & pasted' e-mail to every girl. Instead, look at the girl's profile and pick up on something interesting to say to her.

Permabanned
Nexus said:

My bit of advice would be that it still has some aspects of real world dating to it. As a guy you can't just sit there and expect girls to contact you, though you may get winks. Make sure you have a really well written profile with some good photos of you along with photos of you that show you somewhere interesting or doing something interesting.

Then contact the women you like, but don't send a generic 'cut & pasted' e-mail to every girl. Instead, look at the girl's profile and pick up on something interesting to say to her.

too much work, time for pr0n

Soldato
Met mine through The Welsh Rideout Club :D

Well... kinda, her dad owns it and she'd seen me, we never talked, one day i find i was added on msn and myspace and it built up from there. Internet got us going though, cos everyone in Brecon has stereotypical views of me and she's from caerphilly, so we could talk at least.

Permabanned
I find I can't do these 'nice to meet you', 'can I have your number', 'fancy going out on a date', its just not me.

Natural development between me and my girl mates seems to work best for me.

Soldato
stoofa said:
I listed match.com in my last post as being good - well designed site and no "phantom" people to talk to in an attempt at boosting their income.

However somebody else has now mentioned two or three times that all online dating agencies have nothing but ugly people that couldn't even get laid the "proper way" if they wanted...so are you sure you're still interested?
</sarc>

Spot the guy who doesn't read follow up posts :rolleyes:
I quoted the original poster saying that all the people on these sites are ugly and made what clearly was too flippant a remark for your tastes.
I backed it up with the reasoning behind believing that socially well adjusted, good looking girls will be in the minority in an online dating environment.
You ignore everything but the bit that offended you. Get over it tbh.

Permabanned
badgermonkey said:
everyone in Brecon has stereotypical views of me and she's from caerphilly, so we could talk at least.

Yeah...You have intimate relations with one sheep and you never hear the end of it...

*n

Soldato
Nexus said:

Spot-on.
If you'll have any kind of luck at all depends on just how serious you take the whole thing.
I started with a search in and around a radius of where I live.
I then narrowed things down - mainly age (as I didn't really want to meet anybody excessively older or younger than myself) and I also didn't want to meet anyone with kids (just myown choice at the time).
I then took the time to read through exactly what the posters had to say - those people who had obviously taken the time to fill in their profiles I flagged and went back to.
I only ever wrote to a maximum of two people at any one time (usually just one) and the reply was personalised around what they had to say about themselves - nothing really generic.

A few things in the profiles you can obviously work around (as in real life) so if you like cinema and they like theatre.
Or you look Indian food they like Italian etc.
There will also be much bigger differences in some areas and you may or may not be able to work around those (again as in real life).

As for regards my fiancee.
We exchanged e-mails for about a week, then moved onto IM and we met up together for the first time around about a month after we'd exchanged that first e-mail.
The rest as they say is history.

Back
Top Bottom