has anyone used digital rev?

Soldato
Digital Rev are based in Hong Kong. They can under cut UK sellers because the whole sale prices are lower in Asia.

Bare in mind that because the product is not supplied through the official UK supply channels the manufacturer will not necessarily honour the warranty (although some do for some products). Digital Rev do provide a warranty, but I wouldn't consider this to be as watertight as a manufacturer's warranty.

The only time I've used them was to get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. It was £215, so much cheaper then a UK seller and probably lower then the used price at a UK dealer. It cam in about 3 days so pretty good service.

Associate
Yeah i understand they are based in hong kong . Just wanted to see if anyone had experience using them ,The camera im looking at is £100 cheaper on there compared to anywhere in the uk.

Associate
I've just got a Tamron 17-50 from them, only paid £215 and came in 3 days.

Since it was ordered on a UK bank holiday I suspect it would have taken longer from a UK seller (I'm still waiting for some Waterstones books ordered last week).

Ive been looking at that lense for a while (canon version), let me know how good it is :)

Soldato
Not quite true as a mate of mine bought from them, had an issue with his camera and had it repaired under warranty in the UK
I think it's natural to be very wary about trans-national companies, and there are all sorts of potential issues when buying fairly expensive kit. But Digial Rev have done very well at establishing themselves as a "known brand", so they have a vested interest in protecting that growing brand.

The big camera firms are also under a lot of pressure these days to keep revenue and market share for (relatively) high margin kit up. They don't give a monkey's whether we pay out VAT or not, they only care about not doing anything which might be considered -- by local authorities -- to be encouraging illegal tax avoidance.

So it seems to me they ought to be very reluctant to repair anything that hasn't come from known UK supplies under warranty. So I will always assume I'll have to return kit to HK if there's an issue, or potentially pay for a warranty fix domestically. It boils down to whether I think I'll get past the 1 year warranty without an issue... and statistically that should always be the case.

The offer of a 3 year HK warranty helps with the wariness, but we're somewhat spoiled by EU legislation, and out idea of a warranty and DR's may be considerably different!

Of course we have an extra complication... we've all seen the footage of the way Chinese baggage handles treat air freight. I hope DigRev use a *lot* of bubble wrap! :)

Soldato
I think it's natural to be very wary about trans-national companies, and there are all sorts of potential issues when buying fairly expensive kit. But Digial Rev have done very well at establishing themselves as a "known brand", so they have a vested interest in protecting that growing brand.

The big camera firms are also under a lot of pressure these days to keep revenue and market share for (relatively) high margin kit up. They don't give a monkey's whether we pay out VAT or not, they only care about not doing anything which might be considered -- by local authorities -- to be encouraging illegal tax avoidance.

So it seems to me they ought to be very reluctant to repair anything that hasn't come from known UK supplies under warranty. So I will always assume I'll have to return kit to HK if there's an issue, or potentially pay for a warranty fix domestically. It boils down to whether I think I'll get past the 1 year warranty without an issue... and statistically that should always be the case.

The offer of a 3 year HK warranty helps with the wariness, but we're somewhat spoiled by EU legislation, and out idea of a warranty and DR's may be considerably different!

Of course we have an extra complication... we've all seen the footage of the way Chinese baggage handles treat air freight. I hope DigRev use a *lot* of bubble wrap! :)

They do use a lot of bubble wrap.

Most high end camera gear are built to last and hardly contain much defects

Soldato
They do use a lot of bubble wrap.
Good to know. :)

Most high end camera gear are built to last and hardly contain much defects
Undoubtedly, but I'm still reluctant to tempt fate needlessly! The stresses put on a package sent via container ship, or even as part of a pallet consignment via air freight will be considerably less than those put on a 1-unit parcel cast adrift in the international mailing system.

Having said that, I've bought quite a few (low cost) items from mainland China in recent years and have always been surprised at just how painless and professional the whole process, including packaging, was. I guess you're as likely to meet a rogue handler internationally as you are domestically in the era of minimum wage, cut-throat delivery costs.

Soldato
Digital Rev are based in Hong Kong. They can under cut UK sellers because the whole sale prices are lower in Asia.

Well also because they tend to misrepresent the value massively on items they send(I read one instance on another forum where a £2000 order was marked as a £50 toy),so unless customs does a full check on the package,you get a better deal by tax evasion,ie,dodging import duty.

The thing is customs are understaffed,so of course the large percentage of packages are probably not checked,so it works in their favour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom