has anyone used digital rev?

Soldato
I'm on a 50% hit rate with them. Bought 4 things on seperate occasions and HMRC stung me for 2 of them. DR did sort it on both occasions but it looks like they now will not.

The biggest issue Ive had with DR though came when a body I bought developed a fault, the so called 'no quibbles' warranty turned out to be nothing of the sort with me having to payout cash to either get it fixed myself or ship it back to Hong Kong.

They did offer to send DHL to pick up the camera but could not give me a date they would come, only a 5 day window during which they would turn up at anytime...useless.

The AF assist beam wouldn't do much for me anyway at the distances I work at. The AF on the 5D Mark III has done an excellent job so far using my cheapo triggers.

I'll prob go with them then in that case. Worst case scenario I would only have to pay it in the uk anyway.

Caporegime
I have a ST3 and it's awesome, small neat. Exactly the same screen as the speedlight and so fast to navigate. In nearly 2 years never need AF assist once. For me the thing I'd like more than AF assist is the ability to zoom from the unit instead of having to set them up manually.

As for DR I don't think they guarantee duty anymore. I'm sure I read that on TP recently.

Caporegime
At the end of the day even if you do get conned by HMRC it's still cheaper than buying from the UK, so you might as well buy from a grey seller.

For example Nikon D610:

Grey import: £975

With 20% VAT: £1,170

UK Retailers: £1,400

Nikon D800:

Grey import: £1,406

With 20% Vat: £1,687

UK Retailers: £2,000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Narh, everything I buy, from DVDs to clothing to watches to Taylor Swift merchandise I take VAT and customs charges into account. If it slips through then bonus. If it doesn't, It is expected.

The risk here isn't whether I can save 20% on VAT. The risk here is whether the saving is enough for me to pay for repairs in the UK if I didn't want the hassle of sending it back abroad, including shipping etc, and possible more customs on the way back!

Soldato
Narh, everything I buy, from DVDs to clothing to watches to Taylor Swift merchandise I take VAT and customs charges into account. If it slips through then bonus. If it doesn't, It is expected.

The risk here isn't whether I can save 20% on VAT. The risk here is whether the saving is enough for me to pay for repairs in the UK if I didn't want the hassle of sending it back abroad, including shipping etc, and possible more customs on the way back!

if itsa business i would probably just buy from UK but most of us this is a hobby so hey ho :)

Also why buy that trigger in question when Youngnue have just released a copy cat thats 1/4 of the price and has AF assisted beam?

Associate
payed £250 for a f1.7 20mm lens, developed a fault they said sent to our repair tech, reply was its your fault it is faulty we cannot repair it so buy a new one.

they sent it back to me , it had not even been taken apart to check what was wrong with the focus issue.

if i got it in the uk it would have been a warranty exchange.

basically if you get away with no vat and it never goes wrong fair enough but...

on a side not i love the guy who does the video reviews on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom