Has social media been a net positive or negative on the world?

Soldato
Negative

Technology for communication was great back in the day of AOL, mIRC, MSN Messenger.....but these 'social media sites' have been anything but social IMHO

Associate
For me personally it's a negative. Only last week I completely deleted my account, even that experience was all very "Black Mirror" for e.g. "Are you sure you want to leave, Abi (my wife) will really miss you"
I would find myself getting frustrated with the narcissism and vanity of my friends (the whole platform seems to encourage this so I don't blame them) and ultimately I asked myself, "why am I wasting my time on here?, go and do something creative". For the 1st couple of days I'd occasionally hit a space on my phone where the FB app used to be, a sign that this supposed "tool" was now part of my daily procrastinating routine. Going cold turkey was the best thing for me, no more mini dopamine hits from "likes", I have to earn that reaction from people in real life, which is far more gratifying.
I can now experience things without having to constantly feel the need to share, which ultimately feeds into the bragging culture of FB....Personally I was always self aware not to do this too much but I think back when people used to ask you about your experiences and you had a legitimate reason to tell them, now you're expected to just flaunt it without being asked.
I will say that I have found FB very useful for events (whether that's gigs, gatherings or people's birthday's I'd forgotten about) so I will miss that aspect of it but I'll just have to organise myself a little better to work around that, plus there's always whatsapp.

Soldato
it's an absolute scourge used by the vain and those that have majorr attention seeking issues, look around twitter and its just full of spastics giving a full sit rep on what they are doing e.g In costa having a coffee, on the bog greasing out a log, in Soho gaying it up etc............. I mean really who gives a crap................. attention seeking retards....

It is then these attentards that get targeted by the brainwashers and slowly but surely the will of those devious groups/political wings/pressure groups gets executed by people not even realising it is happening. It's insidious and has been allowed to remain unchecked for far too long.

Soldato
It's the modern equivalent of 'gossiping over the garden fence' on a global scale. Sadly the gossip appears to be mostly of the same variety as its predecessor i.e. malicious. It has been and continues to be a great tool for the forces of law and order, as people don't seem able to refrain from relating their nefarious activities to others.

Rather worryingly it has also proved to be harmful to the forces of democracy with all the fake news stories. Mind you, whose to blame, those who post it or the numpties that swallow it hook line and sinker?

Man of Honour
I'll tell you what's a pain, people who won't join Facebook.
I'll explain:
I have two rock bands and one is so easy to organise because 6 of us are in a private group where we can debate/ideas etc.
In the other band, two refuse to join even under a false name & information and it make it an absolute PITA to arrange things.

Soldato
I'll explain:
I have two rock bands and one is so easy to organise because 6 of us are in a private group where we can debate/ideas etc.
In the other band, two refuse to join even under a false name & information and it make it an absolute PITA to arrange things.

Can't you just lift the phone?

Soldato
I'll explain:

Because something like whatsapp doesn't exi..... nvm lol

Anyone who needs to use facebook has something wrong with them lol

Soldato
Got rid of my FB account but might set up a basic one (no details) again just for a few groups that were useful, never used Twitter as don't see the appeal.

I feel sorry for kids growing up with it, must put a lot more pressure on them and potentially no escape from bullies. Plus now something you said as silly teenager can be dragged up later in life if you ever make it to the medias eye, scary really.

Just use WhatsApp now but don't fully trust that Facebook isn't mining data from it, must be some commercial reason for buying it.

Caporegime
do they? or is it a subset of people, people im friends with do not in any shape or way post everything.

Social media rather than being inherently bad, shows up society for what it is, and it shows clear failings in the education system. The inability for people to evaluate sources of information is an embarrassment to schooling.
I would 'like' this post if I could :D

Man of Honour
Can't you just lift the phone?

This is what I have to do with the other band and it is a right PITA where the other band runs smooth because of Facebook.

Because something like whatsapp doesn't exi..... nvm lol

Did you really post that? Really?
I'm a member of a couple of Whatsapp groups and theres no difference between a private Facebook group.

Anyone who needs to use facebook has something wrong with them lol

And right there comes out the 15 year old.
Pathetic.

Soldato
This is what I have to do with the other band and it is a right PITA where the other band runs smooth because of Facebook.

Did you really post that? Really?
I'm a member of a couple of Whatsapp groups and theres no difference between a private Facebook group.

And right there comes out the 15 year old.
Pathetic.

We are an angry one lol

You are getting pissy cos 2 people dont use faceache, so rather than pressure them to use it to make your life easier.. just use whatsapp.

Also i said people who NEED facebook have issues not people who USE facebook. Someone who has a dependent need has an issue.

Next time read whats in the post and not what you think is there

Back
Top Bottom