Has social media been a net positive or negative on the world?

Soldato
I'll tell you what's a pain, people who won't join Facebook.
I'll explain:
I have two rock bands and one is so easy to organise because 6 of us are in a private group where we can debate/ideas etc.
In the other band, two refuse to join even under a false name & information and it make it an absolute PITA to arrange things.

Wasn't a problem for me years ago when we all was on BT Genie.

Man of Honour
Wasn't a problem for me years ago when we all was on BT Genie.

I've been in bands since 1970 so I was organising stuff before we even had phones. You arranged a date and had to be there or else.

My 2nd band has their 3rd gig this Saturday and we've already been in touch with each other after rehearsals tonight with the absolutely wonderful private Facebook page.

My 3rd band also has a private page and the five members have all been in touch with each other today.

I'm not wasting any of my precious time with my 1st band ringing people up and texting between each other when there is already a very easy way to do it.
For this reason the 1st band is very unorganised and will never gig but I still have fun on a Mondays rehearsal.
And of course you get stuff like "Did you get my text telling you about the new Pink Floyd song we're doing?"
"Oh no, I haven't read my texts this week" :)

Man of Honour
Overall I think it’s of neutral effect. It’s great in many ways, bad in others. When it comes to the negatives, I suppose it fuels people that love group identities and ‘us vs. them’.

As for making the most of Facebook, it sounds like a few of you are doing it wrong - here’s something I posted earlier in the year:

My guide to using Facebook:

- lock down your profile to make it private
- get rid of friends you’re not actually interested in
- use the ‘hide posts from this publisher’ on all news sites and ‘see less stories like this’ on anything political
- select to see ‘less posts / no posts’ from any friends you like that post drivel

Then you are left with interesting posts / photos when you log in, such as holiday snaps or the occasional event notification (engaged, baby etc), and can search to see what any particular person is up to if you’re interested.

There’s no need to check it daily. I certainly find myself using it less and less, but it’s still a great thing to have IMO.

Soldato
I've been in bands since 1970 so I was organising stuff before we even had phones. You arranged a date and had to be there or else.

My 2nd band has their 3rd gig this Saturday and we've already been in touch with each other after rehearsals tonight with the absolutely wonderful private Facebook page.

My 3rd band also has a private page and the five members have all been in touch with each other today.

I'm not wasting any of my precious time with my 1st band ringing people up and texting between each other when there is already a very easy way to do it.
For this reason the 1st band is very unorganised and will never gig but I still have fun on a Mondays rehearsal.
And of course you get stuff like "Did you get my text telling you about the new Pink Floyd song we're doing?"
"Oh no, I haven't read my texts this week" :)

Eh? Is this you trying to suggest you find it more effort to check texts than FB messages or have I misinterpreted something here?

Soldato
On the whole it's a massive negative with maybe a small percentage of people not getting harmed by it.
From bullying of children at school and kids growing up with totally inaccurate ideas of how they should look and behave to couples going out for meals only to spend their whole evening glued to their phones instead of communicating.

Yes you can keep in touch with people easily without much effort and be assaulted by various entities you kind of like trying to sell you things but I swear it's tuning people into the likes of which you'd only meet the following Tuesday.

Soldato
On balance I think it's negative overall, but if someone is stupid enough to waste hours and hours of his or her time on Facebook it's up to them.

I hardly use it at all nowadays.

Caporegime
I'll tell you what's a pain, people who won't join Facebook.
I'll explain:
I have two rock bands and one is so easy to organise because 6 of us are in a private group where we can debate/ideas etc.
In the other band, two refuse to join even under a false name & information and it make it an absolute PITA to arrange things.

yeah that is annoying, had something similar with an acting group - just needed a group set up, had a pinned post with scripts, roles, would have updates about rehearsals.. people could comment under different posts/discuss stuff... makes things much easier to organise than endless e-mail chains and having someone saying they missed something etc..etc.. except one guy didn't have a Facebook account

We pointed out that he could just use a throwaway one and a fake name, but he didn't want to - I don't know why, at that point he's just being awkward for the sake of it as he doesn't have to share any personal data if creating a fake account... after a week or two he gave in and signed up for one

Soldato
bet it's as much of a pain for the people who are being forced to have a FB account when they don't want one, for whatever reason, even if it's fake.

Imagine a 'wanted' ad for a lead singer...'singer wanted for new rock band, must have facebook' :p

Soldato
Social media has been nothing but 100% negative on humanity. From kids being bullied online and having distorted views on looking perfect from all the photoshopped pictures on celebs Instagram to them not actually going out and having fun with friends instead opting to sit at home and communicate over Facebook or Snapchat etc.
And with adults it’s turned most people into the materialistic “keeping up with the Joneses” kind of wanting extravagant items they can’t afford just to paint a distorted picture of what a perfect life they live to others. It’s also ruined social interaction it saddens me sat in restaurants etc to see couples or groups of Friends just sat there with there head buried in there phones like zombies.
It’s also the reason most relationships don’t last anymore because even your average or ugly looking woman will get bombarded with fake compliments and messages from men just looking for casual sex meaning more of them end up with inflated ego’s and actually end up cheating in most cases from all the offers they get.

Caporegime
Social media has been nothing but 100% negative on humanity. From kids being bullied online and having distorted views on looking perfect from all the photoshopped pictures on celebs Instagram

Wait, you are saying film, tv and magazines didn't distort views on beauty before social media existed? Pretty sure they did when I grew up during the 80s/90s :p

It’s also the reason most relationships don’t last anymore because even your average or ugly looking woman will get bombarded with fake compliments and messages from men just looking for casual sex meaning more of them end up with inflated ego’s and actually end up cheating in most cases from all the offers they get.

So attractive women (who get attention by default) are more likely to cheat on their partners because of all the offers they get? Best put a ring on an uggo then!

lol

V F

V F

Soldato
bet it's as much of a pain for the people who are being forced to have a FB account when they don't want one, for whatever reason, even if it's fake.

Imagine a 'wanted' ad for a lead singer...'singer wanted for new rock band, must have facebook' :p

Point is they don't want Facebook...but are being asked to use it to do something unrelated. Its so ingrained in so many peoples lives

It's become a vetting tool.

Caporegime
Somewhat related it's currently doing the rounds that the Pentagon terminated a 'Lifelog' project at roughly the same time as Facebook was founded and the goal of Lifelog was pretty much everything Facebook has achieved in a nutshell.

https://www.wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/

The Pentagon canceled its so-called LifeLog project, an ambitious effort to build a database tracking a person's entire existence.

Run by Darpa, the Defense Department's research arm, LifeLog aimed to gather in a single place just about everything an individual says, sees or does: the phone calls made, the TV shows watched, the magazines read, the plane tickets bought, the e-mail sent and received. Out of this seemingly endless ocean of information, computer scientists would plot distinctive routes in the data, mapping relationships, memories, events and experiences.

Look at the date of the article and now check when Facebook was founded and here we are thinking the latest Bourne movie was fiction. :p

Man of Honour
Eh? Is this you trying to suggest you find it more effort to check texts than FB messages or have I misinterpreted something here?

Yep, you missed it.
If I could text the other 4 members and they could all be in the one conversation that all 5 of us can see as each member texts then I wouldn't need something like Facebook.
There may be an App that could do this but that would mean the App would have to be available for Android, Apple and a Windows phone.
We would also need to be able to see videos that I post and tuition articles in the text files.
Facebook handles this really well and we can all be anonymous to the rest of the world except Zuckerberg.

At least Dowie understands what I'm on about :)

Last year I created a Facebook page that now has 4,139 members and increasing daily.
This is setup for the local bands/pubs/punters where everybody can advertise their gigs and interact with each other.
if anybody can suggest a better way then I'm all ears for helping my community.
I've also setup a buying/selling musical instruments page for the locals - again suggestions welcome.

Associate
Bit of both, I grew up with 'social networkong'.....AOL, chat forums, faceparty, msn messenger, MySpace, Facebook and a few others,met some great people on them and have some lovely friendships.

I do believe however that lately (last few years) it appears to be taking over people's lives, quite literally can't even sit there without resisting the urge to open up facebook or Instagram (or any other equivalent, inuring these forums for instance)...it's quite sad really.

This pretty much sums it up for me, I get this uneasy feeling when I see all of the people staring at their phones at a restaurant or on the train - But then again I am often one of those people! Tis a strange experience being a human being in 2018 I must say :p

Back
Top Bottom