Has social media been a net positive or negative on the world?

Man of Honour
It isn't a big issue to those who don't want to be on it, it seems to rile some people up though obviously.

100%, I'm finding it hard to organise 1 of my 3 bands because 2 members won't even make a fake account.
The other two run faultlessly.
Last night I gave up trying to make contact to arrange a rehearsal so they can sit on it and before you say "Why didn't you ring them?" I did but the pair of them never answer their phones (I don't either).

Also if anybody has a better suggestion than Facebook which doesn't involve an APP where I can organise at least 5 other people then suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
100%, I'm finding it hard to organise 1 of my 3 bands because 2 members won't even make a fake account.
The other two run faultlessly.
Last night I gave up trying to make contact to arrange a rehearsal so they can sit on it and before you say "Why didn't you ring them?" I did but the pair of them never answer their phones (I don't either).

Maybe they're just not that bothered about being in the band.

Caporegime
It's not a big issue. I can't speak for the people who wind you up by not being on it, me? I just can't be arsed plus I have zero use for it so why bother?

Well exactly, that was the point, it really isn't a huge issue but they decided to be awkward about it.

Man of Honour
A phone and a diary? Hard coded dates and times! lol (not a serious post).

How do we then go on to discuss all the other stuff like what songs we are doing, how we are doing them, where I've put video copies, where I've put the tab and so on?

With the other two bands it is simple, with this band we all turn up disorganised not knowing what we are doing next.
You are funny.

Let me explain in very easy words:

Band one: we are able to organise every little thing down to what songs we are doing, advice from other members, the tabs for the songs, videos, asking questions about particular bits and so on. We can also talk about gigs and everything else associated around a band.

Band two: See Band one

Band three: Nice to see you all, what are we doing?

Last edited:
Permabanned
<SNIP>

With the other two bands it is simple, with this band we all turn up disorganised not knowing what we are doing next.
You are funny.

Let me explain in very easy words:

Band one: we are able to organise every little thing down to what songs we are doing, advice from other members, the tabs for the songs, videos, asking questions about particular bits and so on. We can also talk about gigs and everything else associated around a band.

Band two: See Band one

Band three: Nice to see you all, what are we doing?

What did they do before social media? Maybe meet up? Knock on doors? e.t.c?

Soldato
Started all good but quickly went wrong imo. Stages of Social Media for me

1: "Real" friends before social networking, same hobbies, etc etc. <1999
2: Made new internet friends, felt great knowing so many people from different places. 1999-2009
3: Real friends become internet friends, seeing them less and less, talking less and less. This stage could be put down to people growing up/apart especially with people getting married, new jobs etc. 2004-2014
4: Internet friends drift away, internet friends have less in common, so less pull to keep as friends. 2007-2014
5: no friends. 2014 onward.

or maybe its just me lol.

Soldato
It is now negative. It has stopped people communicating properly thus a lack of empathy has come up. New generations can't function without their phones being nearby. Narcissistic behaviour and the "get rich quick via youtube" generation now think that they can get money for doing very little and that sense of entitlement is causing them problems in the real world workplace.

I helped research a paper on mobile phone use and teenagers and although it isn't finished yet, the findings are brutal. Given a test group a list of symptoms and all of them bar 2 (out of 15) thought they were describing drug users and addicts. Their faces when they were told it was actually the findings of monitoring 10 teenagers who had their phones taken off them for 12 hours....

Lack of empathy, due to not seeing a persons face/reactions when they send a text, is leading to more and more people taking their phones out to film something instead of going to help someone who is in distress.

Armchair trolls who think they can bully and abuse people because they aren't doing it to their face, is also another side effect of the "I'm entitled to" generation. Just because you have a phone and can comment on articles/stories/columns, doesn't mean you've an opinion that is fact and that over-rides other opinions.

The list goes on for reasons that social media is harming humans. I've not even started on the mental abuse that image shaming and instagram "like farming" is doing to the youngsters....needing likes to feel worthwhile, ah don't get me started.

Back
Top Bottom