Have I made any mistakes?

Associate
Hi all, just put together a new full-system shopping cart, first time in like 6 years!

Minus the case (I have sourced a InWin 301c from elsewhere) does my build make sense? I worry about bottlenecks - eg RAM that will mean I don't get the most out of my CPU etc. Or anything major I've forgotten! Any thoughts really appreciated, thanks!

OCUK shopping cart screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/v9lXu7W

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

If you put all your items in the basket and then click on the BBCode at the bottom of the list and copy the text you can then paste it in the forums and you end up with this:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,838.37 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

What is the main use of this build? If gaming then there is no need for 32Gb of memory and 16Gb is more than enough. This kit is very good and is on offer at the moment.

There is no need for such a expensive PSU either. You will never save the electricity for the big price premium of Titanium over Gold. Just as well to go with a quality Gold rated PSU and a 650w unit would be more than enough to power that pc even with it heavily overclocked. The Antec has the same internals as the Seasonic and both have a 10 year warranty which is double that of the much more expensive Superflower you were looking at.

The Cryorig C1 comes with a tube of thermal paste so you don't need the AS5.

What resolution will you be gaming at? I would go for a cheaper GTX1080 and not a Asus either. This one is cheaper, has a excellent cooler and has faster clocks than the Asus.

Not sure about the motherboard, PCI-e SSD and cooler but they are all compatible. I expect others will come in with their opinions soon.

Associate
OP
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply! I wasn't aware of the paste to forum function, sorry about that.

I'm a game developer and I do quite a lot of work in Blender and/or with multiple VMs, and fairly often start swapping on my current 16GB build so was really wanting to push for 32GB but RAM is crazy expensive these days! I was also a bit limited on RAM heat-spreader dimensions given the CPU cooler, which is itself a result of wanting a fairly small case, I'll check over your RAM recommendation many thanks.

Yeah I realised too late that I had chosen a bad pricepoint on the 1080, I'll go with your recommendation.

On the gaming side, I am more interested in long-term cost efficiency - I'm upgrading from my venerable HD7850 and i5-3570k, which has lasted so many years without complaint. I am intending on getting a 4k monitor, but will be sticking with 3/4 1080 monitors for now - source code real-estate matters more than anything! I'll be salvaging the HDDs from my old build.

The AS5 and getting an overspecced PSU are old habits from the 90s I guess :) I'll save some money there also.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom