1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I restarted the 'Training' process?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by tomwalker, 27 May 2006.

  1. tomwalker

    Gangster

    Joined: 12 Oct 2003

    Posts: 328

    Location: B'ham

    After my troubles with Max last week where my connection went down to 2Mb from 4Mb this sorted its self over night.

    Well today I thought I would mess about and try and imporve my connection. Firstly I plugged the modem into the master socket then went about unplugging the phones and also the Sky Telephone connections. I switch my modem back on to find I am now connecting at 8128 meg. The only thing that has changed is my SNR has gone from 6db to 10db. Surely this isnt enough to improve the sync speed by that much surely?

    This therefore leads me to believe I might have restarted the training process because doesnt that start at the full speed then gets lower?

    Ay ideas?

    P.S My actual download rate is roughly 2300 due to the low connection during the week
     
  2. tolien

    Caporegime

    Joined: 16 May 2003

    Posts: 25,368

    Location: ::1

    Sounds like in the process of disconnecting phones, Sky boxes and probably some crappy extensions, you've managed to improve your SNR margin pretty significantly. Nothing abnormal there.

    No it doesn't.

    If you can sustain the increased sync rate long enough, your data rate will go up to match it.
     
  3. tomwalker

    Gangster

    Joined: 12 Oct 2003

    Posts: 328

    Location: B'ham

    Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

    My stats are now sat at

    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
    Line Attenuation 28 db 7 db
    Noise Margin 10 db 26 db

    Hopefully the stats are good enoughto keep the connection steady at 8128.

    I suppose the true test when it gets to a weeknight when the SNR has a higher chance of dropping, although it never did when it was stuck at 6db