Have you any experience of USB to Ethernet Adapters?

Capodecina
Soldato
As title really. I have been asked to give advice on using a USB to Ethernet Adapter.

The scenario is that someone is using an Ultra Slim Laptop in an Ethernet wired building with solid walls. She has asked me USB to Ethernet Adapters work and which is the best to use. This is not for playing games, watching films, playing music or anything else that demands vast amounts of data.

Any advice or suggestions based on practical experience please?

Thanks

Caporegime
Ive used an apple one, a cheap Chinese one (Apple clone) and a Lenovo one. Other than the build quality of the Chinese one eventually making the USB connection unusably dodgy, they all worked well. The genuine Apple one and the Lenovo one still get weekly use on mine and the wife’s Surface Pros.

Soldato
I've used the Anker one mentioned above and also a couple of cheaper Chinese models all without issue.

Soldato
It would be difficult in this day and age to find a bad one. I’ve used genuine apple, clone apple and various others, they do what they say on the tin. Unless you have specific requirements you’ve failed to mention like obscure OS support or a requirement for a certain chipset or feature, then any of the usual suspects will work perfectly.

Soldato
The Dell (rebranded Realtek) Gigabit to USB3 adapters are pretty solid and reliable. We use a good number of them for imaging Ultrabooks without a NIC, and we throw 50GB-100GB images down them no problem, not that expensive either. Avoid any based on the AXIS chipset, they're pretty crap

Back
Top Bottom