Have you ever bought a new car from a dealership?

Don
So how does that work say, if I had an issue with my car? Would my local dealer deal with it without any issues (or to be more precise with the same level of service if I had bought it there)?

Throwing in the colour I picked brings the saving down to £450.

Jokester

Man of Honour
Jokester said:
So how does that work say, if I had an issue with my car? Would my local dealer deal with it without any issues (or to be more precise with the same level of service if I had bought it there)?

Yes, becuase you actually pay your local dealer for the car, and buy your car from the local dealer - if not your local dealer then certainly another Honda main dealer. Thats how it works.

Soldato
We bought a new A3 from Audi this year and I have to say the dealer service changed from dealer to dealer when we looked. I had a price we were prepared to pay from the net dealers and some would match it other werent interested. The dealer we used in the end was fantastic and gave me a lower price than we were prepared to pay anyway. The thing with buying new is if you buy a new car do it in the knowledge that you are going to loose a load of money as soon as you drive it(a lot of money). I was a person who always told everyone that they were mad to throw that money away buying new and now Ive done it myself(with the mrs) I dont regret it at all. In fact we are now talking about the next new car we will buy.

Depending who you buy from though does depend on the level or service you recieve. With the Audi if something goes wrong an Audi service technician will come out and try to fix it, if he cant he takes us to get a replacement car while ours is fixed. One of my female friends had her Focus blow a plug out today on her 55 focus, she had to get the RAC to tow her to Ford who then told her to sort out a hire car on her own insurance(they wont give her a courtesy car) and that they will look at it on Monday afternoon and it may take a few days to fix.

Associate
yes bought twice new now.. first a clio and now a scenic(new shape),
now looking for a new scenic...(current model is no longer avalible) new one out in october time.

bought both times from a renault dealer. and they were the cheapest and the best deals.(I researched it to death)(and bored the GF silly going over numbers and quotes)

although Fox will say you can get these cars from places like motorpoint and the likes, but theres a catch with using these places, if you cant afford to pay their display prices in cash (and to be honest who has 13.5 K lying around) you have to use there finance, and thats where they get there money back.
eg quoted to me last week:

cash price : 13.5K

you pay:
dep £1000
then 36x £336
plus the bubble £4500..

= £17569 :eek:

now you might pay renault 16.5 K for the same car, but it will be slightly cheaper to buy from the dealers, and the extras are quite good as well, free insurance and three years breakdown and recovery (might not need it, but it is a good piece of mind), and the latest thing, corperate days out, where I drove a multitude of cars for the day at there expence :D

and to answer the question ...NO I dont regret it.

The 'omg new car' thing wears off the second the plate becomes last years/you get the first scratch anyway..

Not to me , and I dont think it does to others either I've had this car for just over two years and it still feels new to me, I live in the knowlegde that it's mine and no one else has popped it's cherry before me, and that gives me a warm fussy feeling.
And if you buy new cars you have to be prepared to lose money, just like any car( just maybe a little bit more)

oh and a quick example.. before I bought this scenic I was looking at mondeos. at the time a new one was 18 ish K (fas) and a year old was 13 ish( all dealer prices) I could get the new one at a lower monthly payment(over the same terms) than I could the year old one, just because of the different rates of finance were lower on the ford dealer(new) than ford dealer(used).

but there will always be people that drive around in £600 cars and slate other people for paying more to drive around in something better. it's all horses for courses.

:)

bullit

Associate
Yes. An MX5 back in 1998. I didn't regret it at the time as I was fairly young (24) and having a brand new flashy car (to me anyway) was worth it!

I probably wouldn't buy brand new now though, even though I could afford to. I don't do enough miles a year to justify it.

Man of Honour
bullit in head said:
although Fox will say you can get these cars from places like motorpoint and the likes, but theres a catch with using these places, if you cant afford to pay their display prices in cash

...then why are you buying new? You are borrowing money to pay for that initial £3k the car just sheds - the pointless £3k for that new car smell. If you've got money to burn fine but if you dont and need to finance it, seriously whats the point?

(and to be honest who has 13.5 K lying around) you have to use there finance, and thats where they get there money back.
eg quoted to me last week:

cash price : 13.5K

oh and a quick example.. before I bought this scenic I was looking at mondeos. at the time a new one was 18 ish K (fas) and a year old was 13 ish( all dealer prices) I could get the new one at a lower monthly payment(over the same terms) than I could the year old one, just because of the different rates of finance were lower on the ford dealer(new) than ford dealer(used).

Judging a car on monthly payments is really, really daft and it's a trick dealers will use to snag people who want a car they can't afford. Finance it it with at least 50% deposit and a bank loan, that way it doesnt matter WHERE you buy it from, the finance cost remains the same.

Permabanned
I think at the mo the new civic is in short supply, much like the focus ST, the lead times are 16 weeks for a new one on certain models, with this in mind the manufacturers allocate cars to dealers first, fleet next, then lastly brokers, unfortunately the delays then end up being longer if you have ordered through a broker, brokers wont actually tell you this tho, there were quite a few threads over on the focus forums a while back.

Back
Top Bottom