Have you 'grown up' musically?

Soldato
Yes, my taste has 'grown up' per se, because like a lot of fools my main appreciation for music was what the music industry mass fed folks, although I wasn't that deep into it.

When I reached about 16 I started paying more attention to what I was listening to and when I had the spare money I'd buy the odd album or two, picking up a taste for rock music along the way. When I hit 18 and started working and had quite a bit more money my selection ot music expanded quite some more and I diversified into prog rock, jazz, a little hip hop (not my scene but a couple of good albums like 'Miseducation of Lauren Hill'), heavy metal, grunge, a bit of punk (again not my thing), more classical music, folk music and the like. I listen to lots of music these days, covering quite a selection of tastes. My taste has grown up more because I've had the spare money to be able to buy a few albums by nature of experiments, rather than just sticking to artists I've heard on the radio.

The other big boost to my music tastes has come courtesy of the irreplaceable BBC 6 Music, in particular Tom Robinson in the evening, who plays an incredibly diverse set of music on his show, from regae to swing, and even to death metal.

Soldato
I've not really grown up musically at all, most of the songs that I liked when I was younger, I still quite like now, although I was more interested in playing sport, albeit badly, so music wasn't a big interest of mine until I left school and started earning.

I didn't get into metal/rock until about 1980, when a mate dragged me along too see AC/DC at the Southampton Gaumont and I've never looked back since.

What does annoy me is when people say they've grown out of metal, just trying to wind me up, which it invariably does.

Associate
I more or less still listen to the same music I did 15-20 years ago, I'm now 38 :(

Basically 80's hair/glam/sleaze metal or whatever you choose to call it

Motley Crue, Cinderella, Poison, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, Slaughter, Kiss, Warrant, Dokken, Fastway etc.

Always liked Dire Straights & Steely Dan & have just started listening to Green Day as their performance at Live 8 really impressed me, so I guess I haven't grown up musically or any other way
headbang.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
If ever there was a thread for me, this is it. I used to listen to chart stuff and 90's pop back in the 90's. Stuff such as Spice Girls :o and Louise ;):D. I would like to thank William and Arcade Fire for pre-confessing to those 90s crimes. Thanks guys.:p

Nowadays I have grown up, I have most of the Beatles better albums, all of Led Zep, most of Dire Straits, all of Queen and some Pink Floyd and U2.

I can remember in '98, when I was 15, my Mum putting Sgt Peppers on the old vinyl on to play and me shirking it purely because of the vibrant and paced sound to the opening track. It just sounded so weird and foreign to me. However now I regard that album as a classic. When I went home for Xmas the Xmas before last I thought that considering I was British and 21 and had no Beatles albums was a bit of a disgrace. So in the January sales out I went and bought Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, White Album and Revolver, having gotten Let It Be Naked for Xmas.

Later on I thought the same about Led Zep, "Why haven't I got any?". Because Led Zep were a bit rockier/heavier than I was used to I started off with their Early/Latter Days Greatest Hits. This was a waste of time because I immediately decided to procure I, II, III and IV. Got them off little bruv for my birthday and in actual fact only on Friday I got the rest of Led Zep's studio albums.

Man of Honour
OP
MarcLister said:
Nowadays I have grown up, I have most of the Beatles better albums, all of Led Zep, most of Dire Straits, all of Queen and some Pink Floyd and U2.

That is exactly why I started the thread because of comments like 'I have grown up' but this has come from people who were into Zeppelin, Queen etc and now think 'growing up' is listening to Coldplay.

MarcLister said:
and in actual fact only on Friday I got the rest of Led Zep's studio albums.

When I was a young man in t'70's I eagerly awaited the arrival of Presence.
I took the vinyl out of the sleeve, put it on my deck, sat down with my headphones and turned it full blast.
About 40 minutes later I broke it into two because it was and still is bloody awful.
i did buy the CD but only to have a full set.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
That is exactly why I started the thread because of comments like 'I have grown up' but this has come from people who were into Zeppelin, Queen etc and now think 'growing up' is listening to Coldplay.
Hehe, I listen to Coldplay.:D Tbh I've been a life long fan of Queen thanks to my Mum so I can't really say I've grown up and decided to listen to Queen because I always have listened to them in one way or another. When In My Place came out I thought I might as well get their two albums. I enjoyed them and got X&Y. Again I enjoyed that. I can see why people hate Coldplay and their sound but I like it; I will listen to it. I have quite a wide, electic taste in music and consider myself lucky to be able to listen to some of the best music ever in the Beatles, Queen, Led Zep, Dire Straits etc. Doubly lucky because I am deaf, but not so bad that I can't hear music. Phew! Wouldn't want to miss out on Helter Skelter, Radio Ga Ga and Kashmir etc! Absolute classics.

I will say that I think Coldplay are good but when the music stops and the dust settles none of todays band will get anywhere near Queen/Led Zep/Beatles in terms of brilliance of their music. Those three bands especially are just out of this world, in my opinion.

dmpoole said:
When I was a young man in t'70's I eagerly awaited the arrival of Presence.
I took the vinyl out of the sleeve, put it on my deck, sat down with my headphones and turned it full blast.
About 40 minutes later I broke it into two because it was and still is bloody awful.
i did buy the CD but only to have a full set.
I know what you mean about Presence. I'd already heard Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine on the Early/Latter Days album and the other five tracks didn't exactly set me off! But like you I want the full set.:cool: I have all of Queen's stuff but there is some stuff on there that whilst it isn't crap, is south of their overall level of work.:eek:

Man of Honour
OP
MarcLister said:
I have all of Queen's stuff but there is some stuff on there that whilst it isn't crap, is south of their overall level of work.:eek:

I first saw Queen supporting Mott The Hoople and saw them on their very first headlining tour promoting Sheer Heart Attack. Apart from A Night At The Opera every album after that went downbank for me.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
I first saw Queen supporting Mott The Hoople and saw them on their very first headlining tour promoting Sheer Heart Attack. Apart from A Night At The Opera every album after that went downbank for me.
Mott The Hoople?!:confused: Never heard of him/them. Might ask my Mum, see if she knows owt. I know what you mean about their albums, I don't really have a favourite Queen album. In my eyes, they released great songs but just not great albums, whereas the Beatles say did both. Saying that my favourite Queen album is Made In Heaven, I didn't include that earlier because it wasn't released during Freddie's lifetime. Even though I like Made In Heaven, I agree with some music pundit saying although it was Queen's finest/most beautiful album it wasn't their greatest. When I first heard that quote I wasn't sure how finest and greatest could be different. Now I know though.

Btw just checked out your site. Quite a decent set list your group has. Heard of all the groups, just haven't heard all of their stuff if you get what I mean. And groups should always take the 2nd choices I reckon.;) And shame on you for being wasted on your birthday, just like I was on my 21st.:D

Man of Honour
OP
MarcLister said:
Mott The Hoople?!:confused: Never heard of him/them.

Scandalous - fronted by a man called Ian Hunter.
Hits including All The Young Dudes, Roll Away The Stone, Honaloochie Boogie and much more.
Very big in the early 70's and were good enough to have Queen supporting them and the rest is history.

My mates elder brother used to roadie at Victoria Hall in Hanley like I did when I got older (saw many gigs for free). He got on well with Mott the Hoople and invited all them and Queen to stay over the night at his house in a place called Kidsgrove. Unfortunately I wasn't there.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Scandalous - fronted by a man called Ian Hunter.
Hits including All The Young Dudes, Roll Away The Stone, Honaloochie Boogie and much more.
Very big in the early 70's and were good enough to have Queen supporting them and the rest is history.

My mates elder brother used to roadie at Victoria Hall in Hanley like I did when I got older (saw many gigs for free). He got on well with Mott the Hoople and invited all them and Queen to stay over the night at his house in a place called Kidsgrove. Unfortunately I wasn't there.
I've just signed up to AllMusic.com to have a listen.

A friend of my Mum's Uni professor knew one of the Queen band members and was invited to a party. Apparently there were loads of Beemers and Mercs there and this guy turns up in a Vauxhall or something; looking quite out of place.

Soldato
Not at all really, my music tastes have broadened, but i haven't grown out of anything. I tend to have phases, Just finished going through an odd phase where for a month or two i have been listening to very heavy metal, and Drum and bass in the large majority.

I didn't really bother with music until i was 11, before that i'd listen mainly to whatever my parents were listening to, Deep Purple, Cream, Dire Straights, Meatloaf and stuff like that.

When at 11/12 a mate from school gave me a tape to listen to with Sepultura, White zombie and some Fear Factory on it, since then i have been hooked on metal, and until the age of about 16/17 that is all i would listen to, as musical diversity is not easy when you are a kid when it comes to your own collecton, as you don't have the money, now i will hapily buy blind but when you can only get 2 cd's a month i had to know i would like them before i bought them.

Then through work i had a mate who had his own decks and got me into dance music, which i was into quite heavily for a year or so, Still listened to metal but listened to a fair amount of dance music.

Started Uni and my rock collection started to expand exponentially as i lived with 2 people who were into different sub genres of metal/rock so started listening to a lot of grunge which i had alwys quite liked but didn't know much beyond Nirvana, then i got with my ex who was a massive maiden fan and after listening to them a bit decided that i liked them a lot.

The past year and a half i have been getting into Drum and Bass, Hip-hop, wierd stuff like Sigur Ros (courtesy of Carzy :)) and started listening to a lot of classical music as well.

So my taste has broadened a lot, if yo's have said to me 9 years ago when i was massivley into metal that i would be sat here now listening to the stunning Blood on The Motorway by Dj shadow a trip-hop artist i would have looked at you all funny.

Saying that i will never forget my roots and Metal is and probably always will be my favourite Genre, it just has so many incredible memories attacthed to it for me to leave it, like the feeling of being a little 13 year old kid at my first gig watching Biohazard, or the sheer feeling of awe watching a massive crowd go completely ape**** watching Pantera at Ozzfest, or the pure heaven of seeing NiN live last year.

Associate
Years ago when I played in a particular band the singer used to take the pee out of my music tastes because I listened to Jazz,country, soul and loads of stuff different from the HM we played.
I met up with him a while back and he actually stated that he had grown up and started discovering other types of music like I used to!

I think it was down to the fact I had much better hair than him back then! :D

Caporegime
I basically followed whatever my older brother listened to at first

Pop, then rap/hip hop, then alternative when we went through our surfer phase, but I was never really passionate about any of it.

Then I turned 15 and heard trance, and havent looked back, but I have assimilated various dance genres liek house, breaks and progressive :D

Associate
I used to laugh years ago when I used to clubbing at Bowlers in Warrington. Everyone would be buzzing about going on about how good the tunes were (yeah I liked them and enjoyed them for what they were) I go for a chill out and get chatting to someone, all the usual questions; name, where you from, what music do you like?

My reply would always be stuff from the 60's/70's even though I was about 20. Jethro Tull, Hawkwind, CS&N, Neil Young, Gong, Sex Pistols, Clash, Jefferson Airplane, Iron Maiden, Zepplin. They'd look at me like I was some sort of weiredo :D

Sometimes though I'd meet someone of a like mind and have a good chat, instead of looking at them eating their faces.

Now,10 years on, I still love all that stuff but I like to keep uptodate with some of the new bands. Coming on these boards helps though.

I like Rammstein, just getting into At the Gates and Children Of Bodom :)

Back
Top Bottom