Have you 'grown up' musically?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say I've necessarily 'grown up', but my musical tastes have certainly evolved, and in some cases, gone almost full circle.

From a young age I've always (even in the 80s when I was at Junior School) been a bit partial to emotional rock/hair metal. Stuff like Simply the Best, Power of Love, Danger Zone etc. This has been the one real constant in terms of my music tastes... anything with a bit of over-the-top emotion and some powerful-yet-palletable guitars has appealed to me.

In my early teens, I used to like mainstream electronic music like Snap, The Shamen, 2 Unlimited, The Prodigy and stuff like that. However in the mid-90s Oasis converted me to 'indie' and then 'rock' music. This has been something I've enjoyed for over 10 years now. However, in the late 90s, partly due to a friend at uni I started getting back into electronic music, only this time more on the trance side of things... Chicane, Paul van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold and stuff like that. Pretty much all of this decade I've been focussing on rock and trance acts, with not much chart/pop at all.

My tastes have widened a tad because there is now some rap/hip-hop music I can listen to (eg Eminem). Not so long ago I couldn't stand it. I can also appreciate classical music and I find some hybrid stuff quite interesting (e.g. Apocalyptica).

One thing I think is important to note is that I'm almost entirely motivated by melodies rather than lyrics. By which I mean that when I'm listening to a song, I'm mainly revelling in the sound of the voice/music, rather than what they are actually saying. I'm often astounded to see people reciting lyrics off by heart, because I find it almost impossible to do that even with some of my favourite songs. This is probably why I enjoy both lyrically simple bands such as Oasis and trance because I don't really need any kind of deeper meaning to my music.

Associate
If I liked music in the past, I would never call it crap, it wouldn't make sense. You may grow out of the listening part but the music itself would never change.

It's a longing for something fresh with an edge to it!

Suspended
Tommy B said:
In the future I will turn my back on the crap music industry of today. It's not music really; just coloured blokes rapping incoherently about sex and drugs.
Yes, I agree entirely. The mainstream hip hop sector certainly is the entire music industry.

I have one word for you: Tool.

Soldato
I wouldn't say I've grown up so much as widened my tastes. I'll give anything a listen. I still love to dig out my old albums every now and then. Some of them still sound amazing.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
Yes, I agree entirely. The mainstream hip hop sector certainly is the entire music industry.

I have one word for you: Tool.

As much as I despise the music, I'm afraid it is! It infests the radio, tv, culture, magazines, films and even video games.

I'm not saying it's all rubbish, but a lot of it is.

Back
Top Bottom