1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD ready graphics card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by MichaelHo, 20 Jan 2006.

1. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

Hi,
    i just done a quick search and couldnt really find anything. Just wondering if the latest graphics card were HD ready? More specifically the 7800gtx 512MB. I dont really want to spend £400 on a gfx card and not be able to use HD feature in the future.

Thanks.

2. DaZzZa

Mobster

i think all gfx cards are hd

3. JaFFa

Mobster

hd is just a resolution setting. 720p for example is just 1280 x 720 (widescreen) .

So any card can work at that res but its just depending on what card and game to get good performance. A 7800 though will run any game at high res very well.

4. JonnyGLC

Mobster

HD Ready?

What do you mean, the video output from the card, or if the card will actually play at that resoultion?

If it's the first, then the entire ATi X1xxx series have HD output as far as i know.

5. Moeks

Sgarrista

Virtually any graphics card is. Don't be taken in by the fancy naming, it's just a resolution. It might be high res for a tv or a games consol but it's nothing that computers haven't been doing for years :p ...so yea the GTX will be fine.

6. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

haha, thanks guys. I thought HD was a totally differnt kind of output or something!

7. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

The BFG 7800gt's come with a new type of output cable and connectors for HDTV but you can use them without these.

8. zealot

Hitman

Do you mean H.264 for HD/blu-ray and or HDCP compliant graphics card or just the resolution ?

9. samhain

Gangster

Although graphics cards produce HD images to a PC monitor they do not come under the HD logo due to the lack of HDMI connection or DVI with HDCP (both connections actually) as required by the studios to avoid video piracy (encryptions system).

A video card with an inbuilt HD tuner will have both these connections, infact it's my guess that all future generations with have these inputs and outputs to enable HD on non PC displays either through broadband or HD DVD or blu Ray. They won't work unless the video cards have these connections and the proper encryptions.

If you are desperate for HD, then wait until the generation appears (should be 2006) that will allow you to connect your PC, show HD content on all displays.

10. fornowagain

Sgarrista

11. zealot

Hitman

12. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

so this HD protection only really makes a difference if you plan to watch HD movies? if you just plan to play games with ru gfx it doesnt matter whether it has this HDMI or not because PC games can already running at HD resolution?

13. aardvark

Sgarrista

yes its only for movies - pc's can play games at resolutions much higher than HD and have been doing so for years