Hd spinning up - okay?

Associate
I've got a new rig which I've been using and I've been really happy with it so far. I'm using an intel ssd as my boot drive (plus most used programs like ps, office, firefox) and a 1tb samsung hd for everything else, media/storage etc.

What I've noticed though is the platter drive whirring up like a small jet plane each time I access something on it. Once it's started it's fine, zero noise, it only whirrs and clicks when it's starting up.

Anyway I was wondering if this sort of setup is good for the drive? Prior to using a ssd of course I'd only have the hd to use so it would be in constant use. Now because of the ssd handling most things the hd I guess is slipping into sleep mode. therefore through the course of the day the drive is having to startup sparodically, indeed sometimes a lot.

So is this setup healthy for the drive? Continually starting up? And if it isn't can I set the drive to a different mode perhaps?

Associate
Sounds like Windows power management is putting it to sleep when not in use, hence why it spins up whenever you access it. If using Win 7 it hides the HDD suspend options under Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

Back
Top Bottom