HDD bay Bungee mod

Soldato
*******DO NOT USE ELASTIC BANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!1!11!*******

Just opened my case to clean the fan filters and all three of my HDDs are hanging down by the SATA cables just resting on top of each other... if it wasn't for the SATA power cables being a bit shorter on each drive, the board on the underside of each drive would've been resting on the top of the one below it causing who-knows-what catastrophic disaster in there!!!!

So either stick with bungee cord, or just use the HDD rack as intended and find some other way to make it shush!

/warning

Soldato
£2.50 4mm bungee rope off ebay, does the job great!

Before:
38991f9f.jpg

After:
bc063f94.jpg

It's hard to see but I looped it round about 8 times, and it's nice and tight and hold the drive solid, I tipped the case on its back and shook it around but it wouldn't fall out :p Great mod, drive is silent now :)

Associate
I did this bungee mod awhile ago after reading about it on the silent pc site. I also took their advice and swapped my hard drives from 3.5" to 5400rpm 2.5" drives. Made so much difference in my HTPC, all I can hear now is the quiet hum of the PSU fan (haven't got around to replacing it with a more silent one).

This is in a Silverstone LC17 HTPC case.

Associate
Been a keen PC silencing enthusiast for many years and I would recommend anyone avoid elastic and, especially, elastic bands!

Elastic will loose its tension after a while and your HDDs will start to sag - and desktop HDDs being at anything other than 90 degrees is a bad thing - while elastic bands will eventually become brittle and snap, mostly due to the heat.

If you use tons of either they will last a lot longer as the weight is spread but I'd recommend anyone looking to do this to do it right go straight for bungee chord.

And no, I don't work for a bungee chord manufacturing company :p

Permabanned
i use double sided tape from pound world for my ssds. One taped to top other to bottom :D
No problems with ssds they dont get hot or anything and there is 120mm fan pumping air around them to :D.
btw. Why to heck 60f+ ssds dont come with 3.5 inch installation kit in the first place ????

Associate
I was thinking about doing this with fishing wire to make it look as if the HDD was actually floating, I dont know if it would work, Would the wire just burn out from the heat if it was touching the PCB ?

Back
Top Bottom