HDD woes - help needed!

Associate
2 weeks ago my 150gb Raptor died. I was getting BSOD regularly and read errors that meant Windows wouldnt boot sometimes. So i formatted and re-installed on my old 74gb Raptor that had been my main drive previously. This was ok for a few days then i kept getting BSOD again and the PC just slowed to a halt all the time, regularly freezing and restarting by itself. It finally refused to boot last night. I had been trying to copy some files off the Raptor to my 250Gb storage drive but it kept sticking and Windows eventually gave me another read error.

So... I installed windows on a new Samsung HDD that i have for the case i am modding and things worked fine first time around (only this HDD connected). As soon as i connect the old 74 Raptor or the old Samsung and try to boot Windows refuses to load. It will either hang or give me a read error again (msg saying to press "Ctrl Alt Del to restart"). I am now typing this with just the new Samsung HDD plugged in. I guess i should add that all HDD are recognised in the BIOS.

It's not the end of the world i guess but i would like to try and recover some data from the HDDs (mainly pictures) - any ideas?

The only thing i can think of is that i noticed my PSU earth cable had worken itself loose and wasnt grounded - could this somehow create a magnetic field or something to damage the HDDs?

From now on i am getting a separate NAS RAID setup as i dont want to build up a library of pictures only to loose them to something similar in the future.

Cyp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom