HDMI Capture device

Soldato
I was wondering if the USB HDMI capture devices would work for a specific purpose I have in mind?

For instance if I want to try different images on my Pi but only have my laptop available can I plug my Pi into the laptop with one of the USB capture devices and view the video and audio of the Pi in a window?

Any help would be appreciated.

Associate
A quick google of "usb hdmi capture" returns quite a few USB capture devices from the likes of StarTech, Lindy, Magewell.

They're not particularly cheap though, you'd be able to buy a small monitor for less

Soldato
OP
I was thinking more about the ones that are available on amazon and eBay for about £10. They seem to be able to do 1080p at 30fps via usb 2.0 just found a few that are a couple of quid more for USB3 that do 60fps. Might get one on order and see how well it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely it would be easier to flash the image and then log in via SSH or similar and from that you can set-up remote access in a more conventional manner? Failing that used monitors cost bugger all and are often given away free on the usual sites.

Soldato
OP
Surely it would be easier to flash the image and then log in via SSH or similar and from that you can set-up remote access in a more conventional manner? Failing that used monitors cost bugger all and are often given away free on the usual sites.

It was more for the portability of it hence why i dont want to use a different monitor. Using a remote access would also introduce lag as i would assume a HDMI capture device would.

Soldato
It was more for the portability of it hence why i dont want to use a different monitor. Using a remote access would also introduce lag as i would assume a HDMI capture device would.

Lag over a LAN connection will be virtually non existent unless you want to try and play Quake or something :D

Back
Top Bottom