1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDR from a single TIFF file?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DannyDan, 2 May 2006.

1. DannyDan

Mobster

I've been reading cyKey's HDR guide which mentions creating a HDR image using just one RAW file.

As my camera doesn't support saving in RAW format (as far as I can tell) but can save in TIFF format, I was wondering if it is possible to create a HDR file easily from a single TIFF file?

And if it is possible, what image editor is best to use to obtain the exposure-adjusted variations of the original?

Many Thanks.

Last edited: 2 May 2006
  2. growse

Soldato

I wouldn't have thought it was: for HDR you need image information across a large exposure spectrum, and a single picture isn't going to have this information. Good HDR will benefit from a large difference in exposures required for a good shot across the picture, so a single image is either going to have parts overexposed or underexposed and therefore have no detail.

3. Johnny|lucidcomposure

Sgarrista

No you need to adjust the exposure increments. You could do it in photoshop but this will result with a sloppy HDR effect. Nothing is more true than 3 single images. Adjusting anything from default will increase noise.

3 Single images at 3 exposures

1 Raw processed differently.

1 tiff. Try it and you might like it. I do not.