Head unit problems

Associate
A weird problem. Was wiring my head unit adaptor at the weekend. Wiring looked messy as you would expect but it had badly wired iso connectors. I plugged in my power plug and headunit turned on, lovely. After chopping off the connectors and soldering on a jvc adaptor and blanking off ends of old speaker cables etc I plugged in my head unit. Made a little noise as usualy but then wouldn't turn on. It performs functions that it does when turned off. Screen will display time if i press a button and eject works. But the power button just does nothing. So obviously it has a constant 12v and ground so what can the problem be? could it have anything to do with ignition wire? I did manage to cross the live and earth with the old wiring which obviously popped a fuse, but surely it can't have affected anything else? HU wasn't connected at the time so wouldn't have been damaged.
I'd appreciate any ideas.
Cheers.
Dan

Associate
I had a similar problem where the wiring between the ISO and the headunit was messy as hell.
I bought a new headunit (was meaning to buy one as the other one was rubbish) and decided to spend a little extra (about a tenner) on an ISO adaptor so all of the wiring behind the headunit was tidy and so wouldnt cause any problems in the future.

Associate
milgo said:
A weird problem. Was wiring my head unit adaptor at the weekend. Wiring looked messy as you would expect but it had badly wired iso connectors. I plugged in my power plug and headunit turned on, lovely. After chopping off the connectors and soldering on a jvc adaptor and blanking off ends of old speaker cables etc I plugged in my head unit. Made a little noise as usualy but then wouldn't turn on. It performs functions that it does when turned off. Screen will display time if i press a button and eject works. But the power button just does nothing. So obviously it has a constant 12v and ground so what can the problem be? could it have anything to do with ignition wire? I did manage to cross the live and earth with the old wiring which obviously popped a fuse, but surely it can't have affected anything else? HU wasn't connected at the time so wouldn't have been damaged.
I'd appreciate any ideas.
Cheers.
Dan

Headunit shouldnt be damaged because there is a fuse in the car for the headunit as well as another fuse in the back of the headunit.

Associate
OP
Yeah the headunit must be fine. As needmorespeed mentioned I think its the ignition live. I just wired it up to a remaining wire but i found out earlier that wire is a speed sensor one for volume, lol. I will tap ignition off the cig lighter or just connect both to constant 12v.
Thanks for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom