Head Unit vs Amplifier - how big a benefit?

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I have a fairly reasonable headunit (Alpine X305) and, trust me, an amp was most definitely required. The built in amp is feeble.

Man of Honour
Actually yep I didn't even read what car it was for so sound proofing is pretty important for sound quality/volume :p

Probably why the stock BMW speakers sound so good with just a head unit change.

Soldato
OP
Got them all in. They do sound noticeably more clear and they do go louder and sound better. Need to get myself some dynamat and do the doors, one is ok but the first one while I was trying to suss it out I took a bit too much and it vibrates quite a lot of the OE soundproofing out so I'll do both. I need to find a better place to put the crossovers so I can mount it better, I think they're probably moving about so I will try to mount them properly as soon as I can.

Need to get some of them MDF rings as well, the basket was just slightly too big so I've bodged it a little by making up some spacers to bring it out, they fit and the OEM grilles go back on, but I shouldn't think that having the speaker sitting on spacers as opposed to proper rings is doing the SQ any good? So I'll make/buy some of them and do the soundproofing and the rings together next week.

I think I will amp them when I get paid next month. One question... bear with me because I'm a little thick at this.

If I have one set of pre-outs, is that enough? As in can I run the preouts to say a four channel amp, and run the components and a sub from it, or components and some rear speakers?

I know it might be a really stupid question but like I said I just don't know a huge amount about car audio, just enough to be dangerous I think :D

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Your amp will probably have a passthrough so you can connect amp 2 to the pre-out of amp 1.

Whether you can run components and a sub from the same amp depends on whether or not you can adjust the crossover indepedently for front/rear. Personally I would (and do) just use 2 amps :).

Soldato
OP
Cool. I'm undecided what to do from the rear. Ideally I'd like to just get some coax speakers in the shelf that are better than standard to keep it simple and oem and to keep costs down. I'm happy with the improvement from the comps up front (or will be once I fix the rattles and crossover mounting) and a similar improvement to the rear will leave me more than happy I think without having to mess about with sub boxes and whatnot.

Would a little 8" sub be vastly better than a decent set of just coax speakers in the rear? Money and hassle considered as well?

Man of Honour
The amp within a headunit is always a compromise, always use an external amp if possible.

Agreed, amp everything wherever possible. If nothing else you should notice a substantial drop in distortion at high volumes when the speakers are amped.

Next job on the Manta is to amp the rears and build some pods for fronts to run off the same amp (the Manta has no front or door speakers other than a single dashboard mounted effort!)

Back
Top Bottom