1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone dac/amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Lakeland, 19 Oct 2020.

1. Lakeland

Soldato

Does such a thing exist for circa £100?

Headphone dac/amp that will drive hd650s
    Needs to have volume control on the front (no remote)
    Switchable output - headphone / balanced output to active studio monitors (would make do with rca out if necessary)

2. Lakeland

Soldato

3. hornetstinger

Soldato

Ibasso? Schmitt? Topping? SMSL?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2020
  4. lucid

Soldato

You're asking for it to do too much for what you want to spend.

Maybe set your sights a bit lower and drop the requirement for balanced outputs. That, or buy some balancing transformers or get far better shielded unbalanced cables if RFI/EMI noise is a real problem.

Is second-hand a viable option for you?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2020
  5. Lakeland

Soldato

I thought balanced outputs might be too much so I'd be ok dropping that for RCA out. Volume control of the line out would be a huge plus though.

I have a project headbox 2 headphone amp but it is rca in/out only so the only way to run it is from the audio jack output from the motherboard. If I had a dac to rca module I could use the current amp although it's not great sq wise.

Second hand is completely fine. I was using a edirol fa101 but it's firewire and a PITA to keep going so I need to move on!

6. NickK

Capodecina

It depends on the monitors you want to drive - it may be better looking for a monitor amp with a headphone socket.

I’m just looking at designs for a tube headphone OTL amp able to drive low impedance. Probably a 6SN7 and 6AS7 based as two mono boards, then expand into a tube-DAC later.

7. Lakeland

Soldato

The monitors are active - KRK Rokit 6 so just need line in.

Sounds like a nice project, there’s something cool about tube amps.

8. Sgt_Pepper

Wise Guy

Was thinking ifi Zen Can, but its £170, had a play with one the other week, great little thing.

9. NickK

Capodecina

You could diy - perhaps diyaudio headphone forum could give you a schematic or pcb then build one?