Headphones/Headset

Associate
Afternoon all,

I'm after a new set of headphones or a headset. Price range is up to about £100. I don't mind if they're wireless but wired is preferred.

I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to audio and what to look out for so I'm not really sure what's good and what's a gimmick *cough* labelled as 'gaming' :rolleyes:

Looking for something that offers good audio quality/levels and relatively good on the bass.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Soldato
Answers before recommendations. ;)

Need mic?

Open or closed? Closed produces more bass, prevents sound leakage in/out. Or maybe you prefer open with as you say relatively good bass, and better spacial awareness/soundstage preferable for gaming and for hearing someone ringing your doorbell.

Do you have a soundcard (which) or onboard because onboard won't drive some options with higher impedance all that well unless the motherboard came with a very fancy DAC.

Associate
OP
Answers before recommendations. ;)

Need mic?

Open or closed? Closed produces more bass, prevents sound leakage in/out. Or maybe you prefer open with as you say relatively good bass, and better spacial awareness/soundstage preferable for gaming and for hearing someone ringing your doorbell.

Do you have a soundcard (which) or onboard because onboard won't drive some options with higher impedance all that well unless the motherboard came with a very fancy DAC.

In regards to the mic option it's not a requirement no and sometimes they're just in the way :p

I have closed at the minute and have never tried open but happy to try if they produce an equally good sound output.

I have a 'soundcard' but it's basically just an external USB one, nothing fancy.

Soldato
I have a 'soundcard' but it's basically just an external USB one, nothing fancy.

I use the same. Just a Creative Play3 USB bought because onboard could not drive my 32 ohm headphones well at all. That Creative USB DAC supports up to 300 ohm headphones it says... depending on which you have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Studio (250 ohms) you can find for £101 could be an option. Never used it, people rave about it. Difference between the Pro Studio and the regular is the former fits a bit tighter and different cable. And price, currently.

Soldato
In regards to the mic option it's not a requirement no and sometimes they're just in the way :p
That's good thing because no need for mic opens choises from actual audio makers instead of game brands using mostly Chinese trinkets.

And if you don't have need to isolate noise of environment open design is better starting point for sound quality.
Unless you're one of those "more bass equals sound quality" users...
Strong lowest rumbling part is soundwise that thing closed design has easy time in achieving.
Rest of the sound and balancing bass with it... entirely different thing.

Open headphone design better for that accuracy again struggles in that lowest rumbling bass, but there are some open headphones with good strength in that punching part.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro is for its price very good for balanced/fun gaming and unlike closed designs doesn't sacrifice details that much for bass immersion.
Slight toning down of bass with EQ would likely make it also very good for "competitiveness" in FPS games.
Because what some call as "Beyer's signature treble" helps to balance that low end.

If you're after maximal competitiveness/details and neutral bass AKG K702 is basically aural "god mode/wallhack" headphone.
Feed it with with binaural signal and next step up would be game showing locations of sound sources around you in on screen map.
Bass (which actually goes quite deep if you listen for it) simply stays in back seat and punches hard only if truely asked by signal.

For closed design Beyerdynamic DT770 would be overal good, but that closed design's strong bass rumble would need equalizer to keep explosions rumbles etc from burying details too heavily.

Associate
OP
That's good thing because no need for mic opens choises from actual audio makers instead of game brands using mostly Chinese trinkets.

And if you don't have need to isolate noise of environment open design is better starting point for sound quality.
Unless you're one of those "more bass equals sound quality" users...
Strong lowest rumbling part is soundwise that thing closed design has easy time in achieving.
Rest of the sound and balancing bass with it... entirely different thing.

Open headphone design better for that accuracy again struggles in that lowest rumbling bass, but there are some open headphones with good strength in that punching part.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro is for its price very good for balanced/fun gaming and unlike closed designs doesn't sacrifice details that much for bass immersion.
Slight toning down of bass with EQ would likely make it also very good for "competitiveness" in FPS games.
Because what some call as "Beyer's signature treble" helps to balance that low end.

If you're after maximal competitiveness/details and neutral bass AKG K702 is basically aural "god mode/wallhack" headphone.
Feed it with with binaural signal and next step up would be game showing locations of sound sources around you in on screen map.
Bass (which actually goes quite deep if you listen for it) simply stays in back seat and punches hard only if truely asked by signal.

For closed design Beyerdynamic DT770 would be overal good, but that closed design's strong bass rumble would need equalizer to keep explosions rumbles etc from burying details too heavily.

Funny you both should mention those two (Beyerdynamic) in particular as they're the two that I've been looking at for a while and couldn't make my mind up about them. I'm not mad over the bass but enough just so it compliments the rest of the audio.

The AKG K702 look interesting and definitely worth looking at. I think atm it's a toss up between the Beyerdynamic DT990 and AKG K702.

Thank you both for the feedback and options :)

Soldato
DT990 certainly has good fun bass to give immersion in games.

K702's neutral bass is more of that laid back type and could feel shy sounding.
They're actually also more power demanding and draw it as highish current, while 250 ohm Beyer is light on current demand.

I own both.
Got DT990 when very fancy looking design Sennheiser HD595 started rotting after 2½ years and started looking for headphone designs made for functionality, not fashion. (and wanting to try little more punchy bass)
Second hand K702s I bought was it year or two ago for that bass neutral reference.

Comfort wise while very light, that AKG's "automatic" head band adjustment has its challenges:
If you have big head, elastic bands in it might get stretched.
And if you have small, especially downward narrowing head, then it could easily feel like wanting to slip down.
While Beyer's good old manual adjustment is... well, manual adjustment and you set it to right length.
(you could tweak clamping force by bending that middle part of head band, steel inside it doesn't break)

One other thing is that if you value longevity, Beyerdynamic sells spare parts directly to consumers. (and pads are nicely priced)
So unlike most modern stuff, you can repair those easily if something wears down.
Also unlike AKG's rather complex design, ear cup is easy to open.
Beyerdynamic's design was made in time when maintenance friendliness was valued.

Associate
OP
@EsaT Okay, you've sold me on the Beyerdyanmic's :p Thank you for the great feedback.

Edit: I now realise I probably should have put this thread in the Sound City sub forum. But I appreciate both of your help nonetheless :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom