Healthy fast food

Soldato
if when you say healthy you mean calories and fat then subway do a nice range or low fat subs, however salt and preservatives will be no doubt high, but they do a nice range of 6g of fat and under, which is always gonna beat beat a burger or kebab

Calories and Fat
Veggie Delite: 200 calories, 2.5 grams fat.
Turkey: 264 calories, 3.5 grams fat.
Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey and Ham: 261-267 calories, 4.5 grams fat.
Subway Club®: 294 calories, 5 grams fat
Roasted Chicken Breast: 311 calories, 6 grams fat.

Associate
I know you've already discounted it but just getting a salad sandwich from subway is pretty healthy. I get it with the cheese and no sauce and feel good afterwards. It contains a huge amount of almost fresh vegetables.

Man of Honour
:confused:

Organic products only mean that a certain % (can't remember how much) is grown organically. Not that it will have less sugar or any more nutrients in the product.

I know that, and it is OK for you to be confused :)

Organically-produced ketchup have raised levels of lycopene, an antioxidant. It's made more bio-available during cooking.

I know you've already discounted it but just getting a salad sandwich from subway is pretty healthy. I get it with the cheese and no sauce and feel good afterwards. It contains a huge amount of almost fresh vegetables.

There's a winner for marketing :) Just because it is 'made freshly' right in front of you doesn't mean the ingredients are fresh.

Man of Honour
I know that, and it is OK for you to be confused :)

Organically-produced ketchup have raised levels of lycopene, an antioxidant. It's made more bio-available during cooking.

There's a winner for marketing :) Just because it is 'made freshly' right in front of you doesn't mean the ingredients are fresh.

Got anything which shows organic has any more in, Research has shown organic stuff contains no more nutrients than non organic food.

All tomatoes contain lycopene, which is increased by cooking.

Edit-
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6844

And what was the tomato content of each. That probably has far more to do with it than being organic., especially as fast food is lower. Less tomato content cheaper to make.

Last edited:
Soldato

Some Subway sandwiches are quite healthy, for example the Tuna one on Honey Oat bread. The probem comes when you add cheese, sauce, salt/pepper or take crisps and cookies. Again though they're less healthy than a freshly prepared pita bread with hummus, lettuce and tomato.

Man of Honour
Got anything which shows organic has any more in, Research has shown organic stuff contains no more nutrients than non organic food.

All tomatoes contain lycopene, which is increased by cooking.

Edit-
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6844

And what was the tomato content of each. That probably has far more to do with it than being organic., especially as fast food is lower. Less tomato content cheaper to make.

For the most lycopene, choose organic

Organic ketchup delivers three times as much of the cancer-fighting carotenoid, lycopene, as non-organic brands.

Lycopene has been shown to help protect not only against prostate, but breast, pancreatic and intestinal cancers, especially when consumed with fat-rich foods, such as avocado, olive oil or nuts. (This is because carotenoids are fat-soluble, meaning they are absorbed into the body along with fats.)

When Betty Ishida and Mary Chapman at the USDA Agricultural Research Service in Albany, CA, decided to investigate whether the lycopene content of purple and green varieties of ketchup was comparable to that of the traditional red, they tested lycopene levels and antioxidant activity in 13 ketchup brands: 6 popular ones, 3 organic and 2 store brands from fast-food chains.

Purple, green and red varieties of ketchup all delivered similar amounts of lycopene (although dark red ketchup contained slightly more), but a major difference was discovered between organic and non-organic brands. Organic ketchups far surpassed their non-organic counterparts' in lycopene content.

One organic brand delivered 183 micrograms of lycopene per gram of ketchup, about five times as much per weight as a tomato.

Non-organic brands averaged 100 micrograms per gram, with one fast-food sample providing just 60 micrograms per gram.

Bottomline: It seems highly likely the same rationale will apply to all tomato products, so, for the most lycopene, choose the deepest red organic ketchup, tomato sauce, juice and other tomato products.

Hehe, that and making certain foods inedible :D

Corrected ;)

Man of Honour
See edit, no where does it refer to % of tomatoes in each.

As fast food is lower than normal, and normal is lower than organic. it stands to reason the biggest affect is tomato content and not organic.

Man of Honour
Can you show me anywhere that contests this other than your gut feeling?

[edit]In fact, does it even matter why the lycopene is there? Fact is, organic has more. It can be argued whether it has the health benefits theorised, but you cannot argue that it is there in greater quantity. Whether that be due to better ingredients or different production process is neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can you show me anywhere that contests this other than your gut feeling?

Nope. other than the cheaper the product the lass contents it will have. The fact it does not say anything about content is quite shocking.

And other research has shown no more nutrients in organic produce.

http://www.anhcampaign.org/news/fsa-shock-over-organic-produce-findings
Organic food is no healthier than ordinary food, a large independent review has concluded.

There is little difference in nutritional value and no evidence of any extra health benefits from eating organic produce, UK researchers found.

The Food Standards Agency who commissioned the report said the findings would help people make an "informed choice".

But the Soil Association criticised the study and called for better research.

Which is hardly surprising, seeing as the difference is chemicals, not the type of produce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom