Healthy fast food

Permabanned
I thought Subway was healthy!

Calories from bread arent unhealthy lol. Theres hardly any fat or saturated grease in their stuff.

twe

twe

Associate
What about walking into a Tesco/Asda or other supermarket and checking out their salads? At least the information is in-front of you when purchasing it too... Just keep your measurements on what you need to limit yourself with....

Permabanned
I like the supermarket sandwiches actually, but they dont usually have a place where you can sit down to eat. If they have an in store cafe then thats a good idea, but I hate eating while walking.

Caporegime
Agreed - it's something which so many people know so little about. It comes around owing to the fact that it's so much cheaper to buy and produce refined/processed carbs (high GI, or simple carbs to those who don't know) that people use carbs to bloat their foods with which is such a shame. However people's glycemic loads and blood/sugar levels are undoubtedly all over the place as a result. I work quite hard at keeping my insulin spikes at times I need them (post work out for example) and not at night as it mitigates the release of GH when you fall asleep. It's not a diet I follow, it's a lifestyle - I don't believe in diets, I believe in good nutrition and good living. Hence why my BF is relatively low yet carry decent mass (though strength & weight training is mainly the reason for this - but most of the work goes into the day to day food choices). I take it perhaps to a slightly extreme level with hormone optimising cycles etc... However even basic low simple carb diets (and they don't have to be ketogenic diets, just good quality carbs, though I limit myself at 150g per day.) is easily achievable and so much healthier for you.

Interesting and sensible points there m8. Completely agree about 'diets':)

Out of interest how often would you recommend somebody eat protein? At the mo I tend to eat three complete protein sources a day but I don't lift weights like you do so maybe I wouldn't need it so frequently. I do exercise but only by using the exercise bike and stretching, which I do at home.

Last edited:
Associate
No it isn't!

Cheap, low quality meat, processed white bun and sauces full of sugar aren't healthy in any respect.

What is unhealthy about cheap low quality meat? (assuming you mean the meat and not the fat) And what do you mean by "processed white bun"?

Although granted, most sauces are pretty unhealthy :)

Man of Honour
Interesting and sensible points there m8. Completely agree about 'diets':)

Out of interest how often would you recommend somebody eat protein? At the mo I tend to eat three complete protein sources a day but I don't lift weights like you do so maybe I wouldn't need it so frequently. I do exercise but only by using the exercise bike and stretching, which I do at home.

I eat every 3hrs or so and ensure I get about 30-40g of protein in and hit about 220-250g of protein a day on average. :) As I said I hit about 150g of carbs. The rest of my cals come from fats. However I'm very active and do hit the gym and exercise to quite an intensive level :)

Soldato
don't know why people consider carb's enemy, it no more fattening than too much protein or fats .

the brain can only use carbohydrates for energy, remove it from your diet completely , it will have a adverse affect on your thinking and alertness.

what you should be worried about is ingredients fast food tend to use.

high fructose corn syrup
aspartame
mono sodium glutamate

anything really that substitutes natural food stuffs with cheap alternatives that makes companies selling the stuff more profitable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gotta love me a double cheese burger from McD's every now and then, but its probably once every few months.

Now and then is fine, it just becomes a problem when people do it several times in a short period (for weight loss) and eventually, for heart and liver function.

Associate
I like the supermarket sandwiches actually, but they dont usually have a place where you can sit down to eat. If they have an in store cafe then thats a good idea, but I hate eating while walking.

M&S often have a mini store café. I had a Halloumi and roast vegetable wrap there today. Pretty tasty. Also on the menu were a couple of soups and a range of 'Gourmet burgers'. I'd assume them to be pretty decent though.

Associate
the brain can only use carbohydrates for energy, remove it from your diet completely , it will have a adverse affect on your thinking and alertness.

Your body doesnt need many carbs, it will do better (healthier) on high fat, little carbs and thats the way were designed to work. But if you know how to use carbs effectively, theyre good in any diet especially when your weightlifting etc.

Soldato
Your body doesnt need many carbs, it will do better (healthier) on high fat, little carbs and thats the way were designed to work. But if you know how to use carbs effectively, theyre good in any diet especially when your weightlifting etc.

weightlifting is supposed to use fat stores for energy more so than carb's.

when your body need fast acting energy , cardio etc, is relies on carb's as its quickest to metabolise into glycogen.

Soldato
200 calories is a lot ? That's bloody little for a sandwich, I'd need to eat 12 to get my daily number of calories. How on earth do you guys who think this is unhealthy, even get remotely near 2500 calories a day? I find it impossible eating junkfood, let alone ''healthy food''.

Soldato
200 calories is a lot ? That's bloody little for a sandwich, I'd need to eat 12 to get my daily number of calories. How on earth do you guys who think this is unhealthy, even get remotely near 2500 calories a day? I find it impossible eating junkfood, let alone ''healthy food''.

the calories isn't the only thing to consider in your diet, its what makes up those calories.

balance is key.

200 calories of sat fat compared to 200 calories of avocado , there is a difference

Soldato
the calories isn't the only thing to consider in your diet, its what makes up those calories.

balance is key.

200 calories of sat fat compared to 200 calories of avocado , there is a difference

Yep - not only that, though, but depending on what makes up your calorific intake is part of what makes people overeat.

For example, eat 1500 calories of a hearty, balanced, veggie and lean meat-laden meal and you're stuffed.

Shove 1500 calories of oil and fat down you and you'll be hungry again in no time.

Soldato
Yep - not only that, though, but depending on what makes up your calorific intake is part of what makes people overeat.

For example, eat 1500 calories of a hearty, balanced, veggie and lean meat-laden meal and you're stuffed.

Shove 1500 calories of oil and fat down you and you'll be hungry again in no time.

I fail to see how this helps someone eat 2500 calories per day or more and gain weight... I'm SURE I burn far more than 1500 on an average day. I want to be hungry, my problem is NOT being hungry enough and having a BMI of 18, and looking like a skinny 12 year old rather than a 19 year old...

Both get burned if your calorie intake isn't sufficient though ?

Last edited:
Soldato

your not going to be healthy if you keep on eating ****e ,but ****e that's lower than your daily calorie allowance.

eat good in moderation.

edit. jesus didnt know ocuk had filters. i substitute those words for 'crap'

Soldato
I fail to see how this helps someone eat 2500 calories per day or more and gain weight... I'm SURE I burn far more than 1500 on an average day. I want to be hungry, my problem is NOT being hungry enough and having a BMI of 18, and looking like a skinny 12 year old rather than a 19 year old...

You're taking it far too much on a "hard science" level, and failing to view the human/personal activity side of things.

Someone eating a load of crap to make up 1500 calories may find themselves ravenous later on, and as such cram another 1500 kcal of crap back in themselves as well. That's not counting sugar/calorie-laden sodas and/or alcohol.

Someone with a good diet could eat 1500 kcal of good, wholesome food and find that they DON'T feel hungry at the same time the aforementioned individual does.

I fail to see what's hard to understand about that? What fills you more - a huge veggie curry made with minimal oil, or three cream buns? Guess which holds more calories?

Back
Top Bottom