Hearts of Iron 4

Man of Honour
Ok, I LOVE Spain. It's totally different, or it was prior to Turkey, which plays similarly. It's about the two vying factions taking control, so Nationalists, and the Republicans, as you already know. When you "pick" your side at the beginning you basically have to fight it out using PP to take control over the regions. So if you play shrewdly, and collect your PP, you can control most of one side, when the war breaks out. Also, you need to follow the focus tree carefully, as it's a rush against time. The longer you can draw out the start of the conflict, the easier it will be for you. It turns into a war on four fronts, which is absolute chaos. Four different factions all fighting for Spain. You can also play as the Anarchists, which is very interesting as it feels like a pirate game. You basically take over the world with anarchy.

So, as the Republicans, build up as much PP as you can, and make sure you control Zaragoza, or provinces as far North as you can. This will prevent the Nationalists fusing the parties and the Carlists will rise up. More often than not this doesnt happen for various AI reasons. But as a player, if you hold those provinces it makes it easier.

You'll notice that you start the game with something like 70 divisions at the outbreak of war, which will filter down rapidly. I usually end up with 50 or 60. Again, by rushing the focus tree, you will gain more divisions.

As the Nationalists, it's actually quite easy. Take Madrid and Valencia, job done usually. You will get help from the Germans who will usually send armour, and Italians with mountain troops. Then Portugal will send ridiculously over powered infantry which will really create a thorn in the side of the Repubs. The only down side with the Nationalists is the lack of MIL, so you are usually in debt of inf weapons at the outbreak. That said, all Fascist factions are very happy to send thousands in lend lease.

Another point of interest, as either side, use your navy wisely. Republicans set your subs and patrols to convoy raid. The Nationalists always send their elite african units across the sea as the battle starts. You can prevent this and sink them straight away, and they lose something like 10,000 men immediately. As the Nationalists, patrol and strike, simple as that. You will gain naval superiority quite quickly meaning you can call on your fully equipped African divisions.

The Spanish game is all about small gains and small numbers. You will not have large divisions, unless they are volunteers. I usually have the game won by 39 at the latest, but sometime much earlier if I play well at the beginning.

Spain can become a powerful minor. The focus tree is your friend and once the war is won you can rebuild your industry quite quickly. I turned Communist in my last game and sent a full 24 divisions to Russia.

Soldato
Do you ever find with this game that if you start as a minor nation - say as Spain, with the intention of helping Germany destroy everything then what actually happens is Germany gets trashed. Same with if you joined a minor nation to help the allies and the allies would get trashed!?!

Tried a game as one of the Chinese warlords, we totally kicked Japan's arse, only for the Germans to completely destroy the Soviets by 1941 and capitulate them, at which point it was pretty much game over for China. This would never have happened had I been playing say the USA. Some strange things happen sometimes.

Anyway, rather unintentionally got the Panda-monium achievement this morning - as a Chinese warlord be at war with every Chinese nation. When actually I was going for trying to have 1M manpower in training achievement.

79/132

Man of Honour
Oh yes, frequently my game goes belly up. I must admit I haven't seen Germany defeated in a fair while but then I start so many new games I don't get that far into them. I've got about 6 concurrently on the go. What I find a bit annoying is if you try and turn a country towards your ideology, and spend absolutely ages doing it, for it to turn completely the other way via a national focus that takes 70 days. Maybe, just maybe things like that will be addressed in the new patch. Apparently there is some intelligence agency improvements to come. So maybe things like that will be easier.

Soldato
LOL!! Its just happened again. I was playing Australia hoping to get the achievement whereby you nuke your own core territory....what happens? Well, Germany get defeated by 1944 which means all the allied forces swamp the Pacific and instead of just fending off invasions from Japan long enough for me to get a nuke, they go and liberate the whole damned Pacific, leaving the chances of me being invaded going to nil! This is all despite me not lifting a finger to help the allies and Japan conquering everything in the Pacific apart from me. I fended off a couple of invasions but I didn't have a nuke at that point.

Finally got the We Will Rock You achievement. It took me playing until 1964(!) as Spain to finally defeat the USA, then everybody else followed in quick succession after that, so just got Gibraltar in the peace deal.

80/132

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, well, well....maybe I spoke too soon.

The Comintern declared war on the allies which meant all the allied divisions left the Pacific and Japan dominated again. Just had to wait until they eventually got round to invading me (1946) and kaboom....nuke detonated on home soil and achievement unlocked!

I've noticed that if the Soviets survive and defeat Germany, they then like to go invading Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/Turkey, of which the justification against Turkey brought all the allies in against them.

81/132

Soldato
Just completed Duce Nuked'em - as fascist Italy nuke California.

Wasn't too tricky, the hardest part is defeating the allies as Italy - quashing the USA and UK invasions of France in order to allow Germany to focus its efforts in defeating the Soviets. I find it quite hard as Italy - the constant threats of invasions and trying to take down the allies from Africa can be tough, but my navy really saved the day this time. Gaining naval supremacy over the Med is hugely important. In the end I was taking down maybe 10-15 destroyers and a couple of capital ships with each engagement. It took a while to finally crack them, but once I'd got naval supremacy over the region you can secure various coastlines from invasion, cut off supplies and then consolidate your positions. Africa was then taken, followed by the UK after gaining air supremacy.

The trick then is to either invade the USA or gain enough air supremacy over California in order to drop a nuke. Its pretty hard to be honest, as by this time (~1946) the USA are really strong. Got it done by slowly grinding down their airpower over multiple points. Had invaded the Azores, then Bermuda, built up airbases and then took some of the Caribbean and southern Mexico. Eventually what won it for me was taking that small island off the west coast of Canada, that was close enough for jet fighters to have range over California, coupled with some aircraft carriers (each with 100 fighters on) sat off the coast of California, then watching out for >75% air supremacy.

82/132 (50 to go....!)

Soldato
And another achievement in the bag - The Bell Tolls For Us - as Republican Spain, win the civil war. Significantly easier than I found it for the fascists, but I think I was doing something wrong. I'm in an alliance with the Soviets now and am basically a communist country. Weighing up whether I will try to win the war against Germany then use this savefile to get the 5 coups as Spain achievement (right royal pain in the backside), or hang back on the war a bit and let the Soviets lose so that I can take control of the faction as a minor nation. I'll let it play out and see how it goes. Already got one coup orchestrated in the bag anyway.

Tank designers now announced as part of the next DLCs, looks interesting, but I didn't really do much with the tank variants in the game as it was. Super excited about the new logistics and railways bit though.

83/132

Man of Honour
I hope it turns out better than the latest EU IV DLC, which is one of Steams lowest rated titles EVER! Quite some accolade. I knew it was going to be a disaster after following the dev diaries. The HOI IV upgrade looks much improved however, taking lots more time and focussing on a much bigger aspect of the game.

Soldato
Well that was frustrating, I let the Soviets lose to Germany and Romania, upon the peace conference I found myself a subject of Romania, fascist and without my army, despite me not being anywhere near destroyed. I was holding all my borders comfortably. I got a message saying I was the leader of the commitern, but immediately got repositioned as fascist. I have literally no idea why the Soviets demise also lead to my demise, just because I was in their faction. Hmmmmm. Either way, no achievement for taking over the Commitern.

Man of Honour
I'm not totally sure, but it might have something to do with the way you joined the Commitern. Did you use the focus tree? Was it a smooth process? It's pretty complex, its no wonder it goes belly up when one thing changes the historical path.

If I recall, because the SU was the leader and was completely defeated, you are defeated too. It's the way the peace deal works I guess?

Soldato
Last for a Thousand Years done today. Basically you have to invade all your dominions then take the final focus of Imperial Federation.

Thought I'd totally messed up up after 4 hours of effort, when I got to the imperial conference and did a couple of the economic and military cooperation decisions, then it removed the decision for me to propose an imperial federation! Was quite gutted, as I thought I'd be blocked out of the Imperial Federation focus. Thankfully, I carried on with the game and basically annexed all my puppets which oddly unlocked the focus about an hour later. A bit weird. Gonna bin this save off though and go for the achievement to unite the world under our faction - may be a bit laborious though.

84/132

Soldato
NCREZdF.jpg

Playing as Mexico, its May 1941, beat the USA in a war and have annexed all of central America. Took the states needed for the Revenge of Montezuma achievement, then puppeted the rest of the USA, drove down their autonomy through building then annexed them. As such, I also now own their massive navy!!!!

Currently doing a focus for war goal against the Soviets, so am planning to get plenty of war score against them to puppet them and take a coastal province for a further two achievements. Lets see how this goes!!!

The war against the USA was REALLY tough, had to try several attempts to crack it.

85/132

Man of Honour
Ah Trotsky Mexico :) You're doing fab, keep it up.

When the DLC launches the whole mechanic of the game will change along with it. You will have to utilise rail transport and be more wary of logistical problems. I think weather will play more of a part too. Bottom line it should be more realstic. It might also make all your achievements redundant :D

Soldato
And the final two achievements in this run completed....

Sunset Invasion - occupy a coastal province in Europe - in the peace deal after defeating the Soviets I simply took a single coastal province in the Baltic, job done.

The New Home of the Revolution - as Mexico, put Trotsky in power and have the Soviet Union as a puppet - simply puppeted the Soviets in the peace deal.

As said above, the very hardest part was dealing with the USA. That was a tough fight. I found I had to be really conservative in that battle, poke individual holes in their lines and try to get little encirclements. Then by biting off lots of very small pieces you eventually wear the USA down as they simply don't have the manpower when in undisturbed isolation. The only way you beat them is early on. You then get to a point whereby their front line becomes stretched and more full of holes. Then I used some cavalry to skip up the east coast and take as many victory points as quickly as possible. It was a big relief when I won that war as I'd tried several times to win it - on ironman mode with no ability to go back to savegames it can get pretty frustrating.

87/132

Last edited:
Soldato
Another couple of achievements in the bag....

Our Other Place in the Sun - as Imperial Germany, conquer a Caribbean island.

With this one, simply invading is not enough, you have to acquire the islands in the peace deal. But to start, you have to win the German civil war, which is an absolute breeze, however you are crippled a bit in terms of being able to easily blitz through Belgium and France (your armour is destroyed) - so an early defeat of the allies was difficult. It was a bit of grind this to finally bring France down. Once they are down, then its fairly straightforward to consolidate and build up a bit more - allying with Italy as soon as possible is crucial as they help you beat the Soviets - again another slog. Build up of air superiority usually does it, along with submarines in the Atlantic to cut off the Brits oil supplies. This means they can't use their massive navy and so you can eventually naval invade and they are pretty much done.

However, this isn't the end, you then have to find a way of beating the USA. I've only really found "brute force" methods of doing this, mostly comprising of going up through central America and Mexico and again trying to gain air superiority over their fighters until you eventually grind them down. The AI Italy constantly try to invade coastal provinces on the east coast, Canada or Florida, but get beaten back countless times, they must have lost thousands of men trying that one. I've always found that you can invade north east Canada, but its such poor infrastructure with pathetic ports that cannot support your army, with poor terrain, so its almost impossible to push. However in Mexico (though terrain is equally poor, but you can build ports), eventually the levy breaks and you can rush forward just biting off small little American chunks at a time in tiny encirclements until their lines are spread so thin that its a rout. Cue the peace deal and the first territory pick is Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas! (just to be sure!!!)

Big Entente - as France, complete the "Little Entente" focus and have all German cores owned by you or by someone in your faction.

Actually much more drawn out than I thought it would be. I've never really played France all that much apart from silly memes of taking of the UK by 1938! Found it a massive grind to be honest. The Big Entente is essentially your faction (not the "allies"). I think if I were to do it differently I would try to get more national focusses that concentrate on getting rid of France's truly dreadful starting national spirits. I think they held me back massively. If I'm being honest, I only really won because the Soviets got involved, granted I did have a fair bit of war score - but then I messed up the peace conference a bit because I wasn't prepared for the Yalta Conference mechanics - hence the Soviets formed East Germany and hence not owned by anyone in my faction.

I had to re-group a fair bit here, delay war for as long as possible so that I could build up my munitions, arty and planes, as well as build mils and infrastructure up a bit to at least stave off the initial Soviet attacks. When the Soviets finally declared, the game was simply about standing my ground and soaking up relentless Soviet waves and watching their massive manpower very slowly dwindle to nothing (it would have been sheer folly to have even attempted to attack, they would have just smashed my organisation and threatened my line stability). The Soviet army, though massive, was almost entirely made of trash - green bubbles for months and months until they hit zero manpower, wait a couple of weeks then a HUGE push across all fronts and from Turkey absolutely smashed them. Even then though, I took Moscow but having pushed the Soviets back a few times now as Germany, its one thing to take Moscow, but its quite another to actually capitulate Russia as you have to advance really far to take their remaining victory points. I'd run out of equipment at this point, coupled with poor or damaged infrastructure, my attack slowed to a crawl until eventually the Soviets capitulated. It was more of a collapse over the finishing line for me. The war wasn't over though, as I then had to crush Japan and China, with the help of the USA to eventually force the peace deal. I had two massive armies though so could afford to retrain one for a bit and keep the other in the fight until I'd recovered from the pyrrhic victory over the Soviets.

In the peace deal, I just gobbled up the rest of East Germany and the achievement fired. A big of a slog, and I'm sure there are more elegant ways of achieving this one.

I think for now I'm going to take a break from Europe and go for some of the Chinese achievements, or Manchukuo. I've never really played as them, so will be a bit of a learning experience in trying to figure out how to take down Japan with nothing but huge manpower, no industry whatsoever and zero equipment! Human shields maybe?!?!?

89/132

Last edited:
Soldato
HOI4 frustration strikes again!

As Manchukuo I manged to wipe Japan off the mainland and then capitulate all of China to make a giant China! However, I then went on to invade mainland Japan, annexed all their states but then the achievement "The Dragon Swallowed the Sun" did not fire at all. Totally confused as to why. Hey ho.

90/132

Soldato
Why Die For Danzig in the bag, took me all of 15 minutes to do....simple justify on Poland straight away, take them down, meanwhile, build your intel agency, get three spies and boost ideology in France (on non-historical). Then simply orchestrate a coup and you don't even have to have them win.

91/132

Soldato
There are quite a few Balkan / Romania / Hungary achievements that I am particularly fearing. Then there are some that are going to be downright boring....

Our Chief Weapon is Surprise....As Spain, have at least 5 spies and stage 5 coups against other nations.....good luck getting up to 5 spies, unless I suppose if you join the axis and become spy master maybe - but even still....trying to flip countries ideology takes AGES!

One Empire.....basically, as the UK, every nation in the world has to either fall into your faction or be your subject....which as a democracy can only mean one thing - beat axis then USSR, then for every nation left over use your spies to stages coups....zzzzzzzzz

Crusader Kings 2 will be solid....likewise with 30 Minutes of Hel.

I'm getting close to the point where the next achievements will be HARD....there's perhaps another 4-5 that will probably be ok....win Spanish civil war as anarchist Spain....as nationalist Spain take Paris before axis....I'm not very good with Spain at the best of times....

Man of Honour
There are quite a few Balkan / Romania / Hungary achievements that I am particularly fearing. Then there are some that are going to be downright boring....

Our Chief Weapon is Surprise....As Spain, have at least 5 spies and stage 5 coups against other nations.....good luck getting up to 5 spies, unless I suppose if you join the axis and become spy master maybe - but even still....trying to flip countries ideology takes AGES!

The spies thing is interesting. You get one for creating the agency, then you can get an illusive gent, which is 2. Then you need a certain number of factories to reach 3 and 4 I believe. Spy Master gives you one. So that's potentially 5, which can be achieved fairly quickly I'd imagine. As the game progresses your spies improve with traits, and part way through you reach level 2 spies. The ideology boost for smaller nations is then quite quick.

Back
Top Bottom