Heatsink cool on Ivybridge = not fitted correctly?

Associate
Got a 3770k and at stock i am hitting temperatures higher than expected on a Thermal Right Ultra Extreme (TRUE) with two 1,900 rpm Akasa Vipers.

My heatsink does not feel hot like it did with my previous CPU the Q6600(B3). Making me think the heastsink is not seated properly? Or does Ivybridge not make heatsinks hot like a q6600? I am out of the loop regarding this. I recall my q6600 making heatsinks hot. This is downright cool in comparison.

ibzAaOZ6X0gp6j.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
Your temps are good so you must have good contact. From what has been said, with the ivy bridge processors more heat is trapped in the processor and less gets passed on to your heatsink as Intel used some rubbish thermal grease on the heatspreaders. Your temps are good though so I wouldn't worry.

Soldato
Temps are fine. The reason your heatsink isn't getting hot is due to the issue of ivy bridges heattransfer from die->TIM->IHS->heatsink so to speak the TIM completely ruins the transfer of heat and we end up with badish temps at load.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Was worried something was wrong!

Might change my cooler if its not doing a great job. Looking at the Noctua NH D14 and the Corsair H series. The temperatures are a tad high for my standards. I would see big drops changing cooler?

Soldato
Thanks guys. Was worried something was wrong!

Might change my cooler if its not doing a great job. Looking at the Noctua NH D14 and the Corsair H series. The temperatures are a tad high for my standards. I would see big drops changing cooler?

Probably not a huge diff. My alpenfohn k2 struggles to cool my 3770k Ive had the cpu shut off due to temps before. Im setting up a custom loop soon will hope my temps will be controllable then. :/ (I have a pretty hot chip though to be fair.)

Back
Top Bottom