Heavy Juddering when cold

Soldato
I currently own a 2.0L 307 XSI its still under warranty but i am not sure if its worth taking it to the garage to get looked at.

The problem I am having is when starting the car from cold i get pretty damn heavy juddering of the car it will do this when your foot is completely off the accelerator when cold but as soon as your foot is on the pedal it goes away. This continues for the first 5-7 mins of driving and then the car goes back to normal.

I am not sure if this is related but i only get about 26-27Mpg from general drivings.

Soldato
OP
According to the rev Counter they seem pretty normal in my opinion , the car smells as if it is running really rich .. but i am not sure if this is normal for this car.
I will record the sound of the car tomorrow morning to help with diagnosis

Soldato
OP
I did take it in for this problem and i got fobbed off.. they told me they did a software update on the ecu. But this didn’t really appear to help it helped a little but its came back like it was before.

Man of Honour
Just sounds like a cold clutch to me - lots of clutches are a bit jumpy before they warm up. If you give it a bit more welly before lifting the clutch pedal, is it better?

M

Associate
Sounds like it needs a damn good thrashing.

The rich running might indicate faulty water temp sensor, forcing it in to limp home mode , or open loop mode

fawltytowers_3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Amps said:
According to the rev Counter they seem pretty normal in my opinion , the car smells as if it is running really rich .. but i am not sure if this is normal for this car.
I will record the sound of the car tomorrow morning to help with diagnosis

If your car smells like its running rich, the cat is probably knackered...

The cat is supposed to remove all unburnt fuel to stop that rich running smell..

:eek:

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
It sounds like the car is not using an optimal Petrol/Air mixture, possibly the automatic choke is broken, is the car smoking a lot when cold (more than usual?)

The juddering is it when standing still or when moving/rolling?

The problem occurs when the car is at a stand still. From when the key is turned until the engine has heated up a we bit this continues when travelling at low speed. And i would say it does smoke quite a bit in my opinion.

Its strange siztenboots should mention the limp home thing , as when i first got the car i had a problem with the ECU reverting to Limp home mode . Showing on the screen as an ANTI POLLUTION protection fault.

When I took it to the garage the problem was fixed by replacing a sensor connected to the accelerator.

Just sounds like a cold clutch to me - lots of clutches are a bit jumpy before they warm up. If you give it a bit more welly before lifting the clutch pedal, is it better?

The problem occurs before the clutch is pressed from when the key is turned.

Soldato
OP
Yesterday when i started the car i got an Engine management fault coming up.

Saying Catalytic Converter fault.

So I phoned up Peugeot , but it being Saturday there service department was closed so i spoke to the salesman who told me it may not be covered under warranty if the cat is nakard. If they deem it where and tear , but surely 27000 miles is not wear and tear on a cat.

I am going to book it in when they open to get this problem resolved.

Bad week as well as my mot is this Friday.

Strangely now that the engine management fault has came up it drives much better no juddering from cold , well it didn’t this morning.

Dr Who – You may be correct.

Soldato
Dr Who said:
If your car smells like its running rich, the cat is probably knackered...

The cat is supposed to remove all unburnt fuel to stop that rich running smell..

:eek:

OTOH if the fuel injection system is running in closed loop properly (i.e. the lambda sensor before the Cat is ok), then there should be virtualy no unburnt fuel getting through unless the car is misfring.

Soldato
I had a problem almost identical to this on my 182, turned out to be the Oxygen sensor was knackered. They replaced this (Under warranty) and all sorted :)

Soldato
OP
Dogbreath said:
OTOH if the fuel injection system is running in closed loop properly (i.e. the lambda sensor before the Cat is ok), then there should be virtualy no unburnt fuel getting through unless the car is misfring.

Could the juddering be indicating misfireing ?

I will not get fobbed off this time by peugeot.

I will make sure they fix something.

My Mot is on friday so i hope they can get it sorted by then , there is also only a month + 1 week left on my warranty so i better get them moving.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Amps said:
Could the juddering be indicating misfireing ?

I will not get fobbed off this time by peugeot.

I will make sure they fix something.

My Mot is on friday so i hope they can get it sorted by then , there is also only a month + 1 week left on my warranty so i better get them moving.

I had a coil pack go on my vRS( a common fault for the 1.8T engine) and it had the symptoms you describe....you also get the fuel smell as unburnt fuel is going into the exhaust/catalytic converter

a misfire or simply the fuel not igniting would cause the lumpy running you describe..it would also explain why you smell petrol, and why your cat could be knackered..I would have thought engine management system would have picked this up mind...

Soldato
i got an R5 and i get juddering on startup at times when its cold, but thats down to carb freeze.

Take it back to peugeot and kick up a huge fuss and then ask to talk to the manager etc...

Associate
I had a similar issue on my C2. Varying revs when stationary and cold, almost spluttering for a second as I pull away before clearing. The engine management light came on, took it in, and they fixed it. It's still stutters a bit if it's really cold, and now you lot have got me worried about the CAT on it....

Soldato
OP
Thats me back from peugeot they are putting it down to faulty tappets. So they are going to replace them. Thank god i took it in before the end of warranty as i have a feeling that replacing tapets is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom