Help & advice on First time gaming PC £1600 Budget

Associate
Hello Everyone

I have been looking around and researching lots of different things in regards to the PC I am going to purchase.

I have a £1600 budget so want to get the best I can within the price.

Here are some of the items I plan to have in the PC

IntelCore i5-8600K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

CorsairVengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel

Inno3DGeForce GTX 1080Ti Twin X2 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express

Super FlowerPlatinum King 550W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply - Black (I believe this will meet power requirements)

What motherboard would be good for overclocking, I want something good but dont want to spend extra on features that aren't needed.

If anyone has any thoughts on a good build for reasonable 4k gaming then please also let me know.

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply, yeah I was going to wait but it seemed to me that all the hype was about ray tracing and that the card wasn't a massive leap forward, also wasn't sure about card availability and reliability with initial models.

Obviously nothing is truly known until people get to compare them etc.

Associate
OP
I did see something that was saying apparently the 2080 is like 45% better than the 1080 (as its a comparable card) but is only marginally better than 1080 TI as to get its new version would be rtx 2080ti which is out of my price range.

Its a tricky one but worth the wait for sure to see what the reviewers make of it.

Soldato
I did see something that was saying apparently the 2080 is like 45% better than the 1080 (as its a comparable card) but is only marginally better than 1080 TI as to get its new version would be rtx 2080ti which is out of my price range.

Its a tricky one but worth the wait for sure to see what the reviewers make of it.

hence the pricing . Pascal has a greater increase over Maxwell due to a lot of score speed along with the cuda increase. Turing seems to match speed on the core with ram greatly increased and core count from 1080 to 2080 isn't as high as 1080ti to 2080ti .
you'll see the pricing is reflected as 2080 is only slightly more expensive then 1080ti that it is slightly faster then and what makes the pricing a little hard to swallow as it quite a jump from 1080 to 2080.

Personally if your on a 144hz+ 1080p/1440p then worth the £20 extra but have to see with 4k with bandwith and texture fill rates etc

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,416.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

to make the most of your screen though , Vega 64 which is a LOT cheaper!

also with 4k, dont have to put a lot on on CPU power as its mostly about GPU.

***Case-cooling is a personal choice and hard to judge but come sin £300 which could be done cheaper or more expensive etc**
rest of the parts for best performance to £££ and offer a lot of savings

also get Facry5 before end of today with the mobo and 3 free games via AMD for the card

Total: £1,539.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Associate
OP
hence the pricing . Pascal has a greater increase over Maxwell due to a lot of score speed along with the cuda increase. Turing seems to match speed on the core with ram greatly increased and core count from 1080 to 2080 isn't as high as 1080ti to 2080ti .
you'll see the pricing is reflected as 2080 is only slightly more expensive then 1080ti that it is slightly faster then and what makes the pricing a little hard to swallow as it quite a jump from 1080 to 2080.

Personally if your on a 144hz+ 1080p/1440p then worth the £20 extra but have to see with 4k with bandwith and texture fill rates etc

Total: £1,416.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

to make the most of your screen though , Vega 64 which is a LOT cheaper!

also with 4k, dont have to put a lot on on CPU power as its mostly about GPU.

***Case-cooling is a personal choice and hard to judge but come sin £300 which could be done cheaper or more expensive etc**
rest of the parts for best performance to £££ and offer a lot of savings

also get Facry5 before end of today with the mobo and 3 free games via AMD for the card

Total: £1,539.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Thanks for all the info, In regards to the AMD bundle would that do 4K at a reasonable level?

I am a noob to this so excuse my ignmorance but can I just check

The 1080ti seems to be a superior card compared to RX Vega(appreciate the vega will be twinned with the Freesync feature in monitor).
Is the Ryzen a good competitor to the I5

here is what I was going to go with, its £20 over my budget but I can live with that.

Opinions very much appreciated

• 1 x OcUK Tech Labs Coffee Lake Midi Tower Gaming PC Configurator = £1,605.79
    • Case:Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower Case - Black
    • Memory **non-Z370 motherboards limited to 2666MHz**:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B30
    • Power Supply:Cougar GX-S 550W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
    • CPU Cooler:Alpenfohn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler - 120 mm
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:TeamGroup 120GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Chassis Support**:OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Asus PCE-N10 Network Adapter 150Mbps - PCI Express
    • Case Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Keyboard:Unwanted
    • Mouse:Unwanted
    • Monitor:Unwanted
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Motherboard:Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • Processor:Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
    • Graphics:Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080Ti Twin X2 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (N108T-1SDN-Q6MN)
Total: £1,619.89 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
vega doesn't do 4k to bad- freesync helps a lot, gtx 1080ti is by far the better card but would consider the RTX 2080Ti the first solid 60fps personally- but as you say- over budget and WAY overpriced!

another work around. since 8600k and z370 being replaced by 9th gen and z390 in week 40 .

6 core 12 thread i7 8700 which boos to 4.3ghz all cores. board was class leading wifi - out of stock but Strix B360 is another good board and add in a wifi card (dont cheap out on the wifi card)

one of the cheapest Decent 2.5/3 triple slot gtx 1080ti coolers ! the cheaper £700 will run very hot and loud! also its at the same price point of RTX 2080 so give you better feel if you wait for reviews!

OCUK should be able to build for £50-80 so will bring to you same as above , ask them to install windows but not ACTIVATE IT- meaning you can buy your own CD Key for a quarter of the price!

also 512GB SSD instead of very small 120gb! could even go 240GB to save some cash but would rather have large SSD and add in HDD yourself later on

PSU is better but still entry level for Tier 2- £10 more can move to modular Antec 650w

Total: £1,502.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

can see Aorus board with wifi leads to a nice saving

Total: £153.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
What motherboard would be good for overclocking, I want something good but dont want to spend extra on features that aren't needed.

If anyone has any thoughts on a good build for reasonable 4k gaming then please also let me know.
Overclocking won't nowadays give any significants extension to usage life.
But it can give you lot more heat to room in cranking up volts to try to force clocks over reasonable...

Anyway 4K is GPU intensive, because increase in pixel count has no effect to CPU load.
With that AMD platform would actually give upgrade path option wth chance to "drop in" new CPU in couple years without changing motherboard.

As for graphics cards with also Intel joining discrete GPU markets in 2020 wouldn't put huge sums to it.
Graphics card simply won't stay high end in performance for five years.
Again good needs fulfilling case is good for 10+ years.
Also good PSU is long time investment.
For such budget PC PSU should be one with good long warranty.

Back
Top Bottom