• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help an Out of Touch Old Guy

Man of Honour
Hi All,

Hoping you can help, I have a very old Inno GTX460 which I think is strting to misbehave (screen randomly goes black)

I dont have a lot to spend and mainly play stuff like company of heroes 2 / Fortnite / Motorsport manager etc

Can you reccomend either a new card or a second habe form teh for sale which would be a improvement for not a lot of cash ? say £50-£100 ?

thanks

Man of Honour
OP
thankks mate, just looking and theres a 970 for £100 which on the benchamarks seems to annihilate this old card ?

Looks big though not sure it will fit in my case lol. Will look at the 1060 now :)

Soldato
Might also be worth looking at some comparison sites to understand exactly what your going for - gpuboss is ok, and there's loads of others out there that let you compare the stats and perfprmance of your current card Vs it's potential replacement.

Soldato
thankks mate, just looking and theres a 970 for £100 which on the benchamarks seems to annihilate this old card ?

Looks big though not sure it will fit in my case lol. Will look at the 1060 now :)
It will annihilate the 460. 1060 is double the price for not double the performance. Try secondhand 970,980 or rx480, rx580 etc

Permabanned
No-ones asked what resolution you're running so I'll presume we're talking about 1080p

From Nvidia I'd look for a secondhand 3gb or 6gb GTX 1060 (the 6gb model has more cuda cores than the 3gb model so it's also faster as well as having the extra memory.) I wouldn't go with an older 900 series card as you seem like someone who'll want it to last years and driver support can wobble with older gen Nvidia cards, we saw it with Kepler and we've already started seeing it happen with Maxwell.

From AMD I'd look for a secondhand Polaris card such as a 470 & 570 or one of the faster 480 & 580 cards.

If you can find any of those within budget it'll do a decent job, so my list would be as follows.

3gb GTX 1060,
6gb GTX 1060,
Radeon RX 470,
Radeon RX 570,
Radeon RX 480,
Radeon RX 580.

A secondhand GTX 1050 ti is another option. I wouldn't consider a Radeon RX 460 or RX 560 though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom