Help bringing an old bike back to life

Soldato
Well, probably like a lot of people, now that this lockdown is going on and on, I am newly-interested in rescuing my poor old bike which has been sat outside down the side of the flat with no cover or anything for about 4 years :(

It's a very old Gary Fisher Gitch Gumee, probably 20 years old?

Upon a quick once-over it doesn't seem too serious, but I don't really know what I should be looking for. Hence the thread! What should I be checking over seriously to ensure I don't kill myself, or have it fall apart underneath me? :)

I pumped up the tyres yesterday, they seem to have held the air.. They do have slight cracks but not sure how bad that is. Probably need to replace the inner tubes I'm sure. Perhaps safer to replace the tyres, afterall they are off-road tyres and I think hybrid would be best now. Will be mainly suburban riding with a bit of canal towpaths and gravel etc. Brake cables look a little rusty, as do some bits like the headset.

tldr; what would you do/replace on a 20yr old bike that's barely been used and sat unloved outside for a few years to make it safe? Thanks :)

Soldato
Are you happy spannering yourself? Do you have the tools? If you need to start buying specific tools as well as parts, you could soon rack up a bill and be approaching the cost of something new from Decathlon.

However, along with new tubes & tyres, I'd certainly do the brake blocks and cables. Is the drivetrain horribly rusty? I'd possibly give it a good degrease / clean and then oil the chain to see how it rides.

Soldato
I recently refurb'd a bike that had been in the garage for 6 years or so so not quite as old.

1) New tyres and inner tubes, they looked old and cracked and its the first thing that will go usually when you actually get on the road so I didn't take any risks.

2) Give it a good degrease and fresh lube on the chain and cassette if it looks like it might come up, even after a good clean and degrease it may still not be mechanically sound so that is a risk(cost wise for the degreaser etc). I recommend the Gunk 1l Degreaser Green, just get an old paint brush and paint it on.
See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ak4AzlUz5Q for a really good video on how to clean the bike down.

3) Ensure the brake pads etc look solid and they still work fine.

A potential tip, there is a rumoured voucher being released by the government of £50 to encourage people getting old bikes back on the road. I imagine as soon as this comes out the local bike shops and even Halfords etc will be offering a package conveniently priced for the voucher. Halfords do currently offer a bike service, they even have a free assessment you could take advantage of. They do a fair bit of the work for you but just be wary they may well turn around and say your going to need X, Y and Z to get it 'road worthy'.

Soldato
OP
Are you happy spannering yourself? Do you have the tools? If you need to start buying specific tools as well as parts, you could soon rack up a bill and be approaching the cost of something new from Decathlon.
Yes this is what I'm dubious about. I have some tools but nothing 'bike specific' apart from a pump and leaver-things for replacing the tyres! I have however forgotten how to do any of that stuff :o
However, along with new tubes & tyres, I'd certainly do the brake blocks and cables
You mean replace, yes?
2) Give it a good degrease and fresh lube on the chain and cassette if it looks like it might come up, even after a good clean and degrease it may still not be mechanically sound so that is a risk(cost wise for the degreaser etc). I recommend the Gunk 1l Degreaser Green, just get an old paint brush and paint it on.
See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ak4AzlUz5Q for a really good video on how to clean the bike down.
Thanks that vid was just what I needed. I do have WD40 but that seems to be a bit of a minefield as to whether or not it should be used as lube? I always did, back in the day..

o I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the frame/spoke etc? What should I use to get rid of some of the rust?

A potential tip, there is a rumoured voucher being released by the government of £50 to encourage people getting old bikes back on the road.
Great tip, thank you. I will keep my ears open on that for sure.

EDIT: Just because you mentioned Decathlon I took a quick look at their range of bikes. Interestingly enough my GG seems to weigh around 13kg whereas the Decathlon are only a little bit lighter. I was convinced my bike would be ridiculously heavy compared to newer bikes :confused:

Soldato
Yes this is what I'm dubious about. I have some tools but nothing 'bike specific' apart from a pump and leaver-things for replacing the tyres! I have however forgotten how to do any of that stuff :o
You mean replace, yes?

Sorry, yes, I mean replace the brake blocks/pads and brake cables with new ones. This Park guide should help ID the pads and help with doing it.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/brake-pad-replacement-rim-brakes

Minimum tools (IIRC!) for the brakes would be a set of allen keys, a decent pair of snips / cable cutters and maybe a pair of pliers to help pull things tight if needed.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/brake-housing-cable-installation-upright-bars

WD40 isn't a chain lube, best to get something specific. Loads to choose from, personally have a look at Muc-Off or Finish Line.

Soldato
Thanks that vid was just what I needed. I do have WD40 but that seems to be a bit of a minefield as to whether or not it should be used as lube? I always did, back in the day..

o I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the frame/spoke etc? What should I use to get rid of some of the rust?

Great tip, thank you. I will keep my ears open on that for sure.
WD40 is 'ok' but yeah get some proper lube e.g. MucOff, its not too expensive.

Difficult to say about the frame and spokes, give it all a clean off and see how it comes up. If the frame looks really rusty or doesn't feel solid then I wouldn't risk it.

Caporegime
A potential tip, there is a rumoured voucher being released by the government of £50 to encourage people getting old bikes back on the road. I imagine as soon as this comes out the local bike shops and even Halfords etc will be offering a package conveniently priced for the voucher. Halfords do currently offer a bike service, they even have a free assessment you could take advantage of. They do a fair bit of the work for you but just be wary they may well turn around and say your going to need X, Y and Z to get it 'road worthy'.
halford services are for muppets who want a bike serviced by a Muppet.

go on facebook, look for bicyle mechanics mobile ones or just google.

cheaper than a shop probably an enthusiast cyclist who knows his stuff

Soldato
If you're in London, are you near a bike shop? If so, I'd wonder in and ask them for some chain lube, some chain/drivetrain degreaser and some general purpose bike cleaner. You might pay a bit more than ordering from CRC/Wiggle/whoever but less choice might help you! You might also want to get a chain cleaner device, though I just spray degreaser onto an old rag and use that to clean the chain.

Soldato
OP
If you're in London, are you near a bike shop?
Only a Decathlon and Halford really close. There is a 'Bike Hub' a bit further but looking at their price list it's £50 for a repair plus a lot of additions. So to be honest, I have the time and inclination to do it all myself!

I gave it a first clean yesterday, used a bit of WD40 to degrease but didn't have a big sponge :)p) so it needs to be done again once I've bought the appropriate kit.

I took some pics; https://imgur.com/a/JrE3Jnl (er.. that was after the clean but remember I didn't have a paintbrush or anything to really get into it, and I didn't bother with the tyres!)

I think it actually looks alright. I managed to straighten the handlebars but the big issue is the brakes are well off. Couldn't get those right although I did run out of time to play. Any advice/tutorials? I think for front and back they're both rubbing completely on one pad. I think the cables will be ok.

So, what to buy?
  • Degreaser
  • Paint brush
  • Chain lube
  • Inner tubes
  • Tyres
  • Puncture repair kit (+kit for replacing the tyres)
  • Helmet!
Any recommendations on where to get inner tubes and tyres please? I'd rather not go into Halfords or Decathlon if I can avoid it (due to COVID). And what sort-of "hybrid" tyre should I be looking at? I'm in suburbia but would always try to ride along the Thames path and canal paths that are near me. So a bit of light gravel at most, really. I think my MTB days are over!

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I used to ride with these for my commute to work (27 mile round trip). I clocked up about 4k miles on these and had 0 punctures. They have a K guard protection IIRC. IIRC also easy to get on and off.

Schwalbe Land Cruiser 26 x 1.9/2.0

*edit* found them cheaper on halfords website..
Thanks. I'm finding it a real struggle to find much because all road/hybrid tyres are measured in cm whereas the tyres I'm replacing are 26x2. Schwalbe have come up a lot and that is a good price actually. The tread actually looks quite similar to what is currently on my bike, weird considering I thought they were 100% offroad tyres. Any other online stores I could look at?

Soldato
I really liked them as they were good on the road due to the hard center rubber so reasonably low rolling resistance, obviously not the same as slicks! My old MTB was also 26x2" and those worked fine on my old claud butler. They were also pretty good off road. I took it to Thetford forest if you've ever been and used it on the old black and red tracks without any trouble :D

I normally use chainreactioncycles.com and wiggle.co.uk.

Soldato
OP
I normally use chainreactioncycles.com and wiggle.co.uk.
Struggling to find those Land Cruisers in stock. Halford's computer-says-no on my location for delivery or collection!

Some of the Q&As on particular tyres seem to suggest I could use a 26x1.75 or I was also looking at the Hurricane's which come in 26x2.10. Is that possible? :confused:

Soldato
You have just reminded me, I was actually running the schwalbe 26x1.75 and not the larger ones. My old MTB tyres were 26x2 but I swapped for slightly thinner ones. I don't think you will have any issues going down to 1.75 from on any rim tbh.

I've found them cheaper for you here! :D

Link

Soldato
OP
I've found them cheaper for you here! :D

Link
Cool. Before I hit buy what tubes should I gt to go with them? I'm tempted by the 'plus' versions but I'm not sure I need the added puncture protection (famous last words) and would probably prefer the lower weight...

What else can I chuck in to make the shipping worthwhile...

EDIT: Argh what valve is a 'normal' bike valve? lol...

Soldato
EDIT: Argh what valve is a 'normal' bike valve? lol...

Most bikes usually have the schrader valve (the one where you can press the pin in the middle to deflate your mates tyres) think of the ones on a car tyre. usually road/thinner tyres use a Presta valve and that's a skinny one where you have to screw it down before you can pump it up. I think they're for higher pressure wheels.

Soldato
I actually have the land cruiser k guards on my hybrid (700c x 28mm IIRC). I thought I was still running some slick continentals but I forgot I changed them a few years ago for my off road work commute. I've only had one puncture with those but it was a hawthorn which you are pretty much buggered if you hit on any tyre IMO.

I would go with these inner tubes. I normally buy whatever is on special :D The spec states they are for 26" x 1.75 so will fit the land cruisers I linked to. If your not sure what valve you have, post a picture of it. It will probably be the schrader (AV).

SCHWALBE No.12 Tube 26" (2020)

It looks like you will have to bump your order up a lot to get free delivery. I wouldn't worry about it. I would buy at least 1 spare inner tube and perhaps a saddle bag if you don't have one. Then you can keep the spare tube in there along with a puncture repair kit (mainly for the levers). That way you can repair the tube at home in your leisure if you do get caught out with a puncture!

I have this exact saddle bag but in black. I've had it since 2014 so my chain reaction cycle order tells me. It's been on my bike since and still holds up well, no issues with zips of water ingress. Note - it is quite small, literally only big enough for a spare inner tube and puncture repair kit with multi tool.

EVOC Saddle Bag 0.7 l light petrol

Soldato
OP
I would go with these inner tubes. I normally buy whatever is on special :D The spec states they are for 26" x 1.75 so will fit the land cruisers I linked to. If your not sure what valve you have, post a picture of it. It will probably be the schrader (AV).

SCHWALBE No.12 Tube 26" (2020)
Thanks. I did actually place my order yesterday and went for those tubes (although foolishly did not add an extra :o ). Went for schrader valve, after a bit of Googling I'm sure that's correct.

So, I have 2x tyres on their way, 2x tubes, a puncture repair kit from Bikester. From Halford I have just ordered the Gunk Green degreaser and Muc-Off wet lube. Last things on the list are a helmet (no idea where mine went...), a water bottle and of course a bell :D EDIT: I do have a very old D-lock and a number cable lock. Hopefully they're all good although the D-lock is heavy...

Are bike water bottle cages mostly the same size? I already have one on the bike... any recommendations for a tiny bell would be useful. I will need one for the towpaths etc. around here.

Back
Top Bottom