Help - Can't install XP on my new DFI Expert!

Soldato
Hi, have just switched by long running Ultra-D for an Expert, and I've spent the whole day trying to get it to work.

As you can see from my sig my psu is a Noisetaker, which doesn't have the 8pin connector that plugs into the motherboard, but I've followed the instructions of plugging the 4 pin into it.

The board powers up fine, can get into bios fine, the problem comes when trying to install windows. I'm running the bios that was on the boardf when I got it, bios 12-07-2005

I'm trying to install XP pro over a Raid-0 setup of 80gig Seagates like I used to have, and at best I can get to setup the raid array using the floppy disc that came with my Ultra-D (didn't have one with my Expert, Unless I have lost it) and load the first 3 drivers off of the disc (same as last time - not sure why I need the raid 5 for XP one though.... [was told my a freind I need it]) I continue on the install procedure and the whole system hangs when reading from the disc, it stops at various different points, usually after loading all the files and begining instalation. Sometimes it even hangs before I have got to the raid drivers bit, hanging on "loading setup.exe"

I have tried different sata ports, I have checked over all of my cables, all plugged in properly, and have even tried 2 other winXP discs....:confused:

Anyone got any ideas? I would be really gratefull. If any more information is needed just ask away

I've posted exactly the same thing (under a different title) over on DFIStreet. So the rig is currently looping memtest.

Associate
Did you take out the mobo battery and switch the jumpers to reset the cmos, this is usually recommended for dfi boards, not sure if it will help though. Have you tried installing XP without RAID.

Associate
Ok i had a few probs with my Raid Setup.

1. On SATA 1-4 u need the nvidia raid Disk
2. On SATA 5-6 u need Sil Raid driver disk
3. Enable Raid & SATA 1-4 in bios
4 Enable "RAID 0+1" etc in bios

Mate thats about all the bits i wrote down from my last probs i had.

Im sure its to do with the bios settings or Raid driverdisk.

Last edited:
Soldato
tell me if you have tried the following or are doing it please. :)

• Drive 0 on channel 1
  • Drive 1 on channel 2
  • Using the xpert fd (download it off dfi), install the 2 drivers that xp say are 'required'
  • sata 1-2 are enabled in bios
  • it is set to boot off raid
  • raid is enabled in bios
  • set up correctly in raid bios
  • Both drives are fully 0'ed and bad sector free
  • update to the latest bios
  • disabled crap you dont need/use.
  • tried a diff cd drive.
Thanks.

Soldato
OP
From the thread on dfistreet its looking as if my ram settings are bad or the psu just hasn't got enough juice, enermax liberty 620 here we come :D

Lay-z-boy, have tried most of them, just need to try a new bios which I will do later today, aswell as my other cd drive.

Associate
I had the same problem very recently on my expert. Turned out to be a bad partition on the hard drive - complete full format of whole drive and new partition fixed it

Associate
dunno the bpard, but recently had some problems with pci express gfx and setting up xp.

try using a SP2 XP install disc. may work.

google: slipstream xp SP2

might work.

hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom