1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing a case!

Discussion in 'Case Central' started by spartan225, 24 Mar 2012.

1. spartan225

Associate

so, im looking to upgrade to 2011 sandybridge, with a 6950.
    have 6 HDDs and 2 disk drives.

im currently looking at the raven-03, the antec 1100, and the cm storm trooper.

which is better/worst. and any pro-s cons. OR are therte any beasts out there that i have completely overlooked ?

cheers, Nate

EDIT: my sic is COMPLETELY outdated btw :)

2. 95thrifles

Perma Banned

Out of those, the Raven, though you may also want to consider the Corsair series (eg 550D) for a sleeker look, or maybe the NZXT Phantom range if you like the big n bold look

3. King Damager

Capodecina

RV03 is the best of the cases you've chosen. But I'm guessing we're looking at about a £100 budget?

The 500R some people like due to its looks, but I think both the RV03 and CM Storm are better cases.

Alternatively you're looking at one of the 'sleeker' cases as above. You should really be looking at the Fractal R3 from those, as it really is the better of the silent cases.

kd

4. spartan225

Associate

The Fractal R3 looks good, but can't stand doors on cases. And yeah, up to £100 for the case (a bit more if its THAT good). I am after a more "sleek" looking case, and the raven 03 is currently looking the best.

ill have a look at the corsair 550d now

5. King Damager

Capodecina

Biggest issue with the 550D was that it was supposed to be released two months ago... For some reason we still haven't got it...

If you want something more 'sleek', perhaps the Shinobi XL may be worth stretching to? Although, to be fair, if you want to air cool, the RV03 is better.

kd

6. spartan225

Associate

That brings me to another issue i had been debating... Air cooling or a watercooling kit?? which is best (and also easiest to use/will they work with these cases ect?)
    im heading towards air cooling atm... but a watercooling kit is tempting
    cheers

7. King Damager

Capodecina

By watercooling kit do you mean a proper watercooling kit, or something like the H80?

kd

8. spartan225

Associate

something like the H80 (as you can tell, im juggling ideas for just about every component atm :S)

Nate

9. King Damager

Capodecina

They'll both take the H80 (the RV03, and CM Storm Trooper). The RV03 won't manage a H100 though, where as the Storm Trooper will.

If you're looking at one of these kits, it might be worth considering stretching to something like the Corsair 600T though. Corsair's mid-high end cases are purposefully designed to take the H100 xD In fact Corsair even have a blog post about installing the H100 in the 600t.... The 650D, is again slightly more, but adheres more so to your 'sleek' requirements...

For a more budget answer to a case that fits the H100, you're looking at yeah, the CM Storm Trooper or the Corsair 500R, or thinking about it I think the CM 690ii cases will fit a H100, and are still very good cases.

kd