1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Corrupt CD :(

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by TheBigCheese, 16 Jun 2006.

1. TheBigCheese

Mobster

I am trying to retrieve the data from a CD that someone has had the genius idea of writing on in biro....ouch!

It will tell me there are 500 files on there no problem (all photos) and even list their names in list view of windows explorer.

But when I try to copy them it gets stuck at number 40 and won't go any further, sometimes freezing the computer until I eject the disc.

I have tried it in:

Pioneer 109
    Pioneer 111
    A toshiba laptop (don't know the brand of DVD-RW)

Now I know that another person who tried the disc could read 100 of the pictures so how can I tell the drive to skip past the damaged sections?

I've tried reading it in:
    Windows
    Nero
    Unstoppable Copier

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. jbloggs

Soldato

TheBigCheese:

Try opening it with IsoBuster :)

3. TheBigCheese

Mobster

That sounds like the business!

Thanks I'll give it a whirl now! :)

4. TheBigCheese

Mobster

Bah...it doesn't seem to be working...it does show me all the information on the files but won't read past number 40...even when I press skip / cancel and tell it to move onto the next one it doesn't seem to work....

Any other ideas? :confused: :(

5. masterk

Soldato

Tried copying a few at time?

E.g 400-500, then 300-400? etc?

6. jbloggs

Soldato

TheBigCheese:

Try it in another Optical Drive (DVD/CD rewriter/DVD-Rom) on another computer.

Also, if I understand you correctly, the biro is on the dye side of the CD, ie, the side that was written to, if that is the case use something to attempt to clean some/all of the biro off. :)

7. TheBigCheese

Mobster

Yup I've tried copying a few at a time it's not having it...I assume because it tries to count past the corrupt data (?).

Sorry for not being clear, the writing is on the proper side...but you know what happens when you use a biro on plastic...it doesn't write well so they have made an impression of the writing on the underside.

I will try to read the disc in an LG drive on Sunday...otherwise can anyone recommend a good drive for reading dodgy discs....Plextor, Liteon etc?

8. Selekt0r

Wise Guy

Could try using something like Nero Drivespeed to slow the drive down - that may give it a better chance of reading the damaged CD.

9. xtreme.BIN

PermaBanned

Pointless as ROM's automatically do this when it cannot read sectors.

10. Beans on toast Dave

Mobster

proberbly wont work but can you make a copy of it?
    certain cd copy programs ignore bad data i think