help/feedback needed for new build

Associate
My partner and I are building a workstation next month and would love to ask for your feedback/comments. We were both using MAC's for all our jobs but it started to get really annoying lately... as the new macbook pro what we have is crap and we are starting to have some software/hardware limitations overall. She is a designer doing some CAD and basic renders for clients and I am a freelance photographer using PS raw editing and capture One. We are also doing some basic animations in After effects and movie editing of course.

you might find it a bit strange but one of our main priority beside the performance is look
smile.gif

What we have so far :

Monitor: LG 38uc99
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 Ti

What we are planning / can'r fully decide on:

CASE

Thermaltake P3 white

MOTHERBOARD (has to have built in wifi and bluetooth)

Asus ROG Strix X299-XE / Asus Prime Deluxe X299

CPU

Intel 7820x

RAM

G skill LED 3200Mhz 32GB

PSU

Corsair RM750x

CPU cooling

Kraken X72

PCie SSD

Samsung 960 pro 512gb

HDD

WD 2TB black

Thanks in advance for your support

Soldato
also whats the budget ?

auto CAD rendering will hammer the CPU- more threads the better- specially if your using V-Ray! what does she do modelling wise in CAD ?

that gtx 1080ti will speed up Capture One a treat but its finding out if a faster core such as i7 8700k is better then a higher Intel or Ryzen CPU such as the 7820x/ 1920x

as for after effects

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...en-vs-X-series-vs-Ryzen-vs-Threadripper-1123/

with the above, key question is do you use RAM preview ?

Associate
OP
also whats the budget ?

auto CAD rendering will hammer the CPU- more threads the better- specially if your using V-Ray! what does she do modelling wise in CAD ?

that gtx 1080ti will speed up Capture One a treat but its finding out if a faster core such as i7 8700k is better then a higher Intel or Ryzen CPU such as the 7820x/ 1920x

as for after effects

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...en-vs-X-series-vs-Ryzen-vs-Threadripper-1123/

with the above, key question is do you use RAM preview ?

Thank for the reply, we are using fusion 360, solidworks, siemens NX, and 3ds max for modelling on a monthly basis. for big projects and overall experience creation we are rendering in V-ray and for all other in Keyshot.

Any thoughts on the motherboard and ram? we just checked the CPU Comparison and it made us think...

Last edited:
Soldato
gone for asus - (makes a change for me. Normally quote Gigabyte for UK RMA, specially it its your lively hood for down time) and white and pretty but kept it to 8700k- key here being to overclock not hugely but 4.8ghz on all the cores to gain the performance advantage of speed vs core. seems with most of the programs its a slide to core speed, but now coffelake is 6 cores and 12 threads, it helps with programs that take advantage of threads, but with the added plus of SPEED!

with V-Ray, guessing you've been rednering using least plug in which uses both CPU+GPU to render and gives a massive boost to performance !

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,649.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)

use the cheap ssd as OS and other no work related programs.
use the nvme drive for work programs and workloads. load your images to this drive, work on them, then shift to HDD when done!
PSU slightly

and recommend OCUK for numerous reasons . if this is for work and your VAT reg, then you'll go through the business team

Aorus and more quiet version - change of ram from less flashy to faster

Total: £1,624.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)

x299 version, pushed the 10 core as 8700k makes the 6 core version extincted and matches 8 core version due to its pure speed ... but the cost shoots up

Total: £2,194.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure how much power you guys would need, but how about high core count i9 with 64gb of memory - though might be overkill, depends on the level and complexity of your work.

New Xeon-W platform with intel C422 chipset might actually be a better fit and is more orientated toward serious professional work though is not stocked by OcUK yet - and costs a little more but you get a much much higher memory limit

Total: £2,663.08 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Back
Top Bottom