Help get Jon folding quickly please :)

Soldato
Hey guys. I thought it would be best to start a new thread on this. I stopped folding around the time I sold my 280gtx and my ppd hit the floor, but now starting up again. Using an i7 and an 8800gt.

First issue is that the 8800gt is producing 1200 to 1400 ppd. Which is rather lower than I expected. It does this under windows and under linux, where should I be looking for a solution?

SMP client on linux is starting to behave. As long as I don't use the provided scripts anyway, otherwise it insists on running on four cores. Now ./fah6 -smp 8 solves this, it's just started up across all eight threads. In the process of changing from the script here to the above I appear to have nuked a 92% complete work unit, trying to salvage that one. Nope, it's gone. However 8 thread folding is working, and I *should* have access to the large work units.

So presently only looking for help with the card. It's overclocked about as far as it'll go without hardmods, so shouldn't be doing so poorly.

Clocked the 920, it's now running at just shy of 10k ppd. Gpu still not doing well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its not eue'ing, though it will do so if I move the core to 750. It's not just a folding card, so core speed matters to me as well. Core at 725, memory at 997. Not worked out how to ask linux what the shader speed is, but any higher and it crashes on me. Since a stock 8800gt should be well over 1200, I don't think overclocking it is the issue. It's stable, just slow.

Using 180 drivers at present on ubuntu and whatever the latest were on windows. Same ppd in each. This suggests that it's not a software issue, and I'm worried that part of my card may be dying. Loading warcraft 3 while folding causes a bluescreen with the rest of the system at stock, which is also not good news. I'm hoping that's the copy of windows however.

No progress on gpu yet, but -bigadv seems to be behaving itself. Working on a 25403 work unit, that looks to take two days and three hours to complete. We'll see how that works out.

Damn. I finished the bigadv unit, got the 25k points, and no bonus points whatsoever. Finished it in under three days, but apparently:
Please be aware that to earn bonus points for the -bigadv units, you must first do the following:
- get a passkey and put it in the passkey field of the OSX prefpane client
- run 10 FahCore_a2 units with the passkey, finishing 80% or more of them before the deadline

Inadequate research gets me again.

Finished 14 units within the deadline since the 25k unit, *think* I'm using a passkey. 20% into another big unit, hoping to finish it after 2 1/2 days. Fingers crossed...

I now appear to have been uploading the results for one of these big units for over an hour. Struggling to find out how much data this is, but it seems to be a large upload. I'll bump this when/if I actually get any points through.

Quite messy, kept refusing to send the results off. Finally started another unit while sending them off. Looks like it anyway, I'll wait for stats update with impatience
[19:44:17] pleted 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)
[20:12:21] + Results successfully sent
[20:12:21] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[20:12:21] + Number of Units Completed: 17
[20:15:30] Completed 5000 out of 250000 steps (2%)

edit. Taking 2 1/2 das per unit, but giving out 55k points per unit. Not too bad, though I'd still like to know why my 8800gt is woefully underperforming. I'll take another look at it when I have time to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom