Help - liquid soap stuck in 3.5mm headphone jack

Associate
Hi, this is my first post on this forum so please forgive me if I mess something up as I am not familiar with this site.

Basically a van crashed into a bus stop right outside my house and I was the first one to go out and check if everybody was okay. I was on the phone to ambulance operator people and assisting with injured person simultaneously. I got a fair bit of blood on my hands and on my phone. Wasn't that much of a problem as I could clean thoroughly using hand wash. To wash my mobile phone I covered a piece of kitchen towel with hand wash and rubbed all over phone making sure not to miss any spots.

When I woke up this morning I switched the phone on and noticed the headphone icon which normally shows when headphones are plugged in. I did not have any plugged in. Some of the soap must have dried in the 3.5mm jack. Is there a way I can get this out with minimal damage? I am very reluctant to turn the phone on as I am worried it may short circuit or explode or something. Thanks for reading and any help is much appreciated!

Permabanned
This sound like one of those "I was doing my housework naked and I slipped and got stuck in my vacuum cleaner" stories that ends with a call to the fire brigade or visit to Hospital.

Headphone jacks are prone to acting up with rain etc tarnishing the coating.

I bought pipe-cleaner and Bottle cleaners to fix my last phones jack but once it was corroded I had to keep doing it as the plating was gone so it did not last.

So pipe cleaners/Brushes and iso alcohol and then lubricate the jack and with switch cleaner/lube and plug in and out a few times.

100x 15cm x 3mm Assorted Cotton Pipe Cleaners (UK Made) < Amazon

And/Or

Sannysis Set of 10 Bottiglia Spazzole Cucina, Pennello Pulito Set,Spazzola flessibile con dimensioni, per Tubi, filtri, lavelli, bottiglie < Amazon

SHL BRAND ISOPROPANOL IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Pure (1 Litre) 1000 ml < Amazon

Servisol Super 10 Professional DJ Fader and Switch Cleaner Spray < Amazon

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for replying, lol I understand that it sounds unbelievable. I don't currently have access to a pipe cleaner so I have inserted a cotton bud in there a few times but it seems to not have worked. I have just checked the obttle and it does not mention anything about being flammable which is reassuring. Would there still be a chance of it short circuiting though? I washed the phone about 17 hours ago and it still feels greasy.

Associate
OP
So last night I rolled up numerous pieces of kitchen towel and shoved it in. When I woke up this morning the phone no longer shows the headphone icon. Is this what you would say is cleaned and back to a good electrical signal? Or should I take it to a repair shop to have it cleaned professionally or something?

Soldato
I'd imagine the headphone jack on almost everything is a sealed unit. My 2 pence would be use something like electrical contact cleaner on a cotton bud and just go at it. Make sure to turn your phone off first and use the cleaner sparingly. It's usually solvent based so it should evaporate.

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying. I will look into that. I haven't yet attempted to recharge the phone. Is it worth putting some in the charger port as well as it evaporates? That's assuming I find something small enough to rub it in the charger port with.

Soldato
As above, turn your phone off before cleaning the ports.

What I would do is spray a little bit of contact up the 3.5mm jack and insert a pair of headphones into the jack a few times, while cleaning the plug. One last blast with the contact cleaner and get as much as you can out by shaking - being careful not to let go of the phone. ;)

You could do your charger port too while you're at it. I do this with mine every 6 months or so if I have problems with charging and haven't seen anything bad as a result of doing so.

Before turning the phone back on, let the ports dry out for an hour, standing the phone so that any liquid can drip out onto a tissue

Back
Top Bottom