• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me be sane X6800 ordered Gulp

Soldato
Jimbo said:
And I might add.. clever and devious ploy by intel, release the top range chip first for all the desperate cant waits out there first (no offence), then follow up a week or two later with the saner priced cpus. ;)
What makes you think it's an Intel ploy? maybe it's OcUK with the 'clever and devious ploy' ;)

Simon,
You're doing the right thing!
Just wait, that extra cash will come in real handy, you can never have enough cash on holidays. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
It was just an off the cuff figure, why would you get so worked up over such a minor and inconsequential detail when the point of the argument was perfectly clear? Sheesh... talk about pointlessly anal. ;)
Err, what!? I think perhaps my use of the word "deluded" may have given my comment the wrong tone. I wasn't having a go at your estimate, just emphasising that the processor will lose a lot more than 40% of it's value. The "deluded" comment was actually aimed at anyone buying an X6800 who might be trying to convince themselves that it'd still be worth 60% of its value in a year's time. Badly worded, soz :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Vertigo1 said:
Err, what!? I think perhaps my use of the word "deluded" may have given my comment the wrong tone. I wasn't having a go at your estimate, just emphasising that the processor will lose a lot more than 40% of it's value. The "deluded" comment was actually aimed at anyone buying an X6800 who might be trying to convince themselves that it'd still be worth 60% of its value in a year's time. Badly worded, soz :)

lol it was the word "deluded" that did it, I just thought you were being arsey. No harm done, sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
It genuinely makes me sad to see people spending £800 ona CPU that will lose 40% of it's value in 1 year and be yesterdays news.

The whole point of overclocking is that you take a £250 CPU and turn it into an £800 one! Buying an £800 CPU not only (in my humble opinion) goes against the core principles of overclocking, but it's just such a terrible waste. Will you notice the extra 200mhz that the £800 will give you? Is it worth the £550 extra? 0.3mhz per pound? If you had a £250 CPU and an £800 Conroe side by side, OC'd to the max, you wouldn't even notice the dfference.

I just wish people would engage their brain before engaging their wallets. At the end of the day it's your money and you can spend it on whatever the hell you like and no-one can stop you... but that £550 you save could be used for so many better things. Take a holiday, treat your kids... spend it on somthing that has some real worth.

Don't get offended... just my opinion. :)

I agree with all of that.

Seems some 'overclockers' are more about bragging and wasting money than actual real logical thinking and getting the best for your money.

Also that cpu in the next few months will probably lose 40% of price. Next year possibly be £200 if you're lucky? :eek: :confused:

Soldato
Robbie G said:
What do you mean by this?

Can you "unlock" a 6600 into a 6800?!

Has anyone yet discovered if it's possible to unlock the multi on the lesser Conroes?

lol, I'm pretty sure he just means scratch out the 6 and replace it with an 8 in a sort of blue peter "get an adult to help you with this" kind of way :p

You won't unlock them, period. Those sorts of fun and games went long long ago.

Caporegime
matt100 said:
lol, I'm pretty sure he just means scratch out the 6 and replace it with an 8 in a sort of blue peter "get an adult to help you with this" kind of way :p

You won't unlock them, period. Those sorts of fun and games went long long ago.

yes, thats what i meant :p

Soldato
x6800 is only worth it if you have phase change/ln2 or dry ice, the higher tdp means its not as good for water or air.

Not only that but the current retail x6800's are not clocking as well as the older es versions, save youself some money and get the e6700 or lower it has a lower tdp, will be better under 'normal solutions', should oc as well/better and is much cheaper.

Caporegime
lay-z-boy said:
x6800 is only worth it if you have phase change/ln2 or dry ice, the higher tdp means its not as good for water or air.

Not only that but the current retail x6800's are not clocking as well as the older es versions, save youself some money and get the e6700 or lower it has a lower tdp, will be better under 'normal solutions', should oc as well/better and is much cheaper.

so far i've seen one retail x6800, and the guy seems to have almost no clue what he's doing. not clocking with fsb at all, taking 266mhz jumps only, he still despite not really going about it the right way booted into bios at 4Ghz on air so its not an awful chip. he's i think done an oc and got to windows at 3.73Ghz or something. he's running some awful cooling as he's hit 80C load. there might be another one or two people but, just because they have x6800 doesn't mean they'll magically be brilliant people who know what they are doing.

theres probably 10-15 retail chips being clocked worldwide, even if they were all x6800's all only did 3.4Ghz and were all knowing what they were doing that still wouldn't mean anything about if retails clock well or not. its 15 chips.

Caporegime
TREE said:
I wouldnt be to sure about the decrease in value thing, as the darned ape of a chip pentium D 840 EE is still around £500 in stores that still have them :eek:

stores that still have stock, still have stock because no one's buying at that price ;)

Soldato
drunkenmaster said:
stores that still have stock, still have stock because no one's buying at that price ;)

most definitely quoted for truth, those are the stores who are angling for sale or return or are destined for bankruptcy because they don't understand how to clear stock.

Soldato
Personally I would go for the E6700 if I were in your shoes (i.e. if you have the money to spend on an X6800 and are remotely worried about max overclock)

I don't think you would get magically closer to 4.5 to 5Ghz with the X6800, you'd probably get 95% of the performance from the E6700. What I mean is, you might find that even with more multipliers available you still hit a wall that no amount of voltage or cooling can get past.

Also, I wouldn't even consider an X6800 unless you had phase - I'd say E6600 for air/water and E6700 for phase.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reality|Bites said:
So your house will be empty for 10 days from the 26th of July huh? :)

not a nice thought :o

i can imagine his holiday packing though

tootbrush - check
camera - check
conroe chip - check

Back
Top Bottom