Help me choose - 27" 2K 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor

Associate
Hi All

Keeping an eye out for the new 11 series Nvidia cards hopefully being released soon; I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to take advantage of 144hz @ 1440p.

I've short listed the following from the research I've already done:
ASUS ROG Swift
Acer Predator XB271HU
Dell S2716DG

I know the Dell isn't IPS, but I've read/ heard good things and considering the price difference wondered if its worth a punt?

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Soldato
You might want to check out the LG 32GK850G if you can go that bit bigger. Just got one myself and very pleasantly surprised by it. Coming from IPS I have not noticed a massive difference in vibrancy, and in gaming it's very smooth. Virtually every IPS panel will suffer from bleed, so keep that in mind. Some are atrociously bad.

Associate
OP
You might want to check out the LG 32GK850G if you can go that bit bigger. Just got one myself and very pleasantly surprised by it. Coming from IPS I have not noticed a massive difference in vibrancy, and in gaming it's very smooth. Virtually every IPS panel will suffer from bleed, so keep that in mind. Some are atrociously bad.

Yeah I've had IPS monitors in the past with really bad bleed. Although, I've read these monitors dont suffer with it too badly. I'm actually leaning towards to Dell at the moment for this very reason...

Soldato
Yeah I've had IPS monitors in the past with really bad bleed. Although, I've read these monitors dont suffer with it too badly. I'm actually leaning towards to Dell at the moment for this very reason...

The LG is VA and one of the best VA panels out there.

Soldato
I'm also looking for a 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor - so i'll keep my eye on this thread!

I've seen the ROG Swift in person and it really is amazing, but significantly more expensive than the Dell S2716DG - something to consider at least.

Man of Honour
It is hard to beat the Dell if you want something for gaming that still looks decent (for a TN).

I've mixed feelings about the new high performance VA monitors as while they are a whole different ballgame to older VA panels I still notice some smeary/speckling with motion and certain colour transitions that once you notice are hard to "un-notice" - I think it is one you really need to "try before you buy" to see how you get on with it personally.

With my experiences I wouldn't touch Asus with a bargepole.

Associate
OP
I'm currently leaning towards the Dell monitor myself for the following reasons:
  • Doesn't suffer from backlight bleed like IPS will/ does
  • Dell customer service is highly rated
  • Colour accuracy is very good, comparable to IPS
  • Dell build quality is very good
  • Cheaper by quite a margin compared with the other competition!
Does anyone own the Dell S2716DG who could add their 2p worth to this thread?

Man of Honour
I use a Dell S2716DG for my main monitor - wouldn't change it for anything currently - I have experience of many of the latest monitors and have both a 4K 28" display and a Dell 21:( UW IPS along side it - for any serious image editing, etc. I use the IPS.

I went through a whole string of the Asus ROG Swift and RMAing them due to issues and on top of that the service was abysmal - Asus is quite happy to badge something up as a "premium" product and sell it to you but aren't so forthcoming with backing it up with a premium level experience - so I won't touch Asus again.

Soldato
The LG is the one to get - the IPS displays have a horrid yellow/orange glow in darker scenes in games. I was gobsmacked when I got one!

The Dell is a TN panel priced similarly to IPS displays, and while it is a good one, contrast just isn't as good as an IPS, so blacks are more grey than the competition.

Soldato
I've seen the Dell S2716DG as low as £250 on the members market and it's currently £449 new after a 10 second Google search. The ROG Swift PG278QR is £659 and Acer Predator XB271HU £599 on OcUK, so the Dell is significantly cheaper than both with the only major difference being IPS > TN.

Soldato
I've seen the Dell S2716DG as low as £250 on the members market and it's currently £449 new after a 10 second Google search. The ROG Swift PG278QR is £659 and Acer Predator XB271HU £599 on OcUK, so the Dell is significantly cheaper than both with the only major difference being IPS > TN.

It is currently, and while it is, it's definitely a wise choice. If similarly priced, LG is better, but it's not £200 better

Man of Honour
the IPS displays have a horrid yellow/orange glow in darker scenes in games

I found that varies hugely from individual monitor to individual monitor - some are pretty decent with only very minimal levels of IPS yellow glow others are terrible.

Soldato
I found that varies hugely from individual monitor to individual monitor - some are pretty decent with only very minimal levels of IPS yellow glow others are terrible.

I agree, but I had to go through 7 to get a decent one, and that's not a good sign of QC. Plus, Asus only swap out the monitor for refurbished unite, so you buy a brand new one and end up with a second hand one...

Soldato

I've sat in front of the Dell and the colour/gamma shift was very noticeable for me. If you were doing colour sensitive work it just wouldn't be an option and an extra £150 for the LG would be money well spent (if you also want a fast G-Sync panel). The LG 32GK850G, for a VA panel, is actually very good. Very close to the IPS panel I had before.

Soldato
I've sat in front of the Dell and the colour/gamma shift was very noticeable for me. If you were doing colour sensitive work it just wouldn't be an option and an extra £150 for the LG would be money well spent (if you also want a fast G-Sync panel). The LG 32GK850G, for a VA panel, is actually very good. Very close to the IPS panel I had before.

Yeah, I've heard the Dell S2716DG requires calibrating immediately out of the box to improve the colours etc, but once completed it will look miles better. I think if the Dell was similarly priced to the other options, it would be difficult to justify, but the significant saving surely makes it great bang for buck?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom